Hikers Hostel

Check Plovdiv Hotel Deals

Hikers Hostel Plovdiv Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
A place with a view Dec 01, 2013
In the middle of the old town in Plovdiv you will find this little hostel on the top of a hill overlooking the city and the surrounding area of Plovdiv. Location really doesn’t come much better than this - the hostel is right in the heart of the city - though it is a little walk up hill from the bus stop.

I had gotten out the bus and then I needed to find the right way leading up to the hostel - unfortunately my map was using standard European letters while the street name on the street leading up the hill was using Cyrillic letters. I am not an expert on Cyrillic letters so I decided to ask for direction. By sheer luck the man passing by this street just happened to be one of the two residing Americans in Plovdiv so he could tell me I was on the right track and actually said he would follow me up to the hostel so I wouldn’t get lost. The route up to the hostel was actually very simple and I would have found it myself easily if the street name had just been in a writing I could read.

I get up to the hostel and it is pretty quite - which seems to be the case with all of Bulgaria in the early spring. So they got plenty of space even though the hostel is pretty small. I am told that now there are lots and lots of space but during July and august the place is packed and they sometimes let people sleep in the living room just to keep up with influx of backpackers going through the area.

The view out of the surrounding area from the common room is one of the very best features of the hostel - it is an amazing location on the top of a hill overlooking the area around and the city below. In the morning there is a basic but decent breakfast in the common room so you can enjoy the views in the morning while having a cup of coffee.

The hostel is a bit quite when I get there and there are no other guest around - but I am so fortunate the American kept hanging around while I was checking in. he had just got a baby and had decided to go celebrate at his favorite pub down in the town. I am not sure how many people he actually knew around Plovdiv - but he invited me to come along for the celebration of his new baby. So I went along with him down to the pub where we met up with another American married to a Bulgarian woman and had a few beers. He insisted it was Bulgarian tradition that the new father paid for everything so I had free beers for the afternoon. At the end of the day they invited me for a day trip in their car around the area the next day.
Africancrab says:
Well written review, thanks for sharing.
Chokk says: