Higoji Minshuku

Check Kumamoto Hotel Deals

Higoji Minshuku Kumamoto Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Higoji Minshuku Jul 19, 2009
I found the place because it is listed in Lonely Planet as the best traditional option in the city. Hence when I got to the station I called the place to hear if they had a room for a couple of days. The owner spoke English but said they were very busy and only had room for a day. I said I would take it for just the one day in that case and then figure out what to do the next day.

Then the owner said he would come to the station and pick me up. Five minutes later he showed up and drove us up the hill. It was quite a steep hill so I was glad to get a lift up the hill. I got the room and it was a traditional room with a TV which did show a bit of a lack of cleaning - you should take care not to touch it unless you like dust.

The owner would go out of his way to help you and when I wanted to explore the city he offer me to use his bike to ride around the city free of charge. When I got back in the evening it was clear the minshuku was completely empty and I was the only guest. The owner said I could now stay another night because he had gotten a last minute cancelation. I somehow doubt he had got any cancelation and just had been nervous about renting for a strange foreigner. I guess the fact he was high on the Lonely Planet list of cheap places to stay meant he got lots of strange people coming. Hence in Japanese fashion he wanted to see who I was before he would accept me as a guest for two days.

In the evening and morning there were coffee and tea but unlike most minshukus this place does not. The next morning he drove me down to the station so I could get on to the tram so I did not have to walk down there myself. When I left the next morning his wife drove me down to the station. Hence there was great extra service included in the room price.
The view from the street outside