Highway 4

5 P Hang Tre, Hanoi, Vietnam

Highway 4 Hanoi Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
Delicious vietnamese food Apr 07, 2015
We wanted some good authentic vietnamese food and we were given this recommendation from a guy we met on a trip in Hanoi who was living there.

Apparantly there is 2 resturants with the same name, not sure if its a chain, but we didn't risk it and went to the address he gave us.

The decor is clean and contemporary with a japanese feel.

We ordered a variety of items to share between 3 of us. Fresh vegetable and pork spring rolls to start, tiger prawns in garlic butter.

I really enjoyed the seabass grilled with butter and lemon which was we created our own fresh rolls with the plates they gave us.

They also have a selection of more unusal food, like scorpions, locusts, crickets and bull penis which we were not brave enough to try.

I guess the food is expensive in comparison to other places. main courses are around 150,000dong but all in we spent approx 250,000dong (approx $11 US) each including beer which I personally think is a steal.
Liselore_Verschuren Liselore…
Skip it, if you don't want to feel swindled Nov 05, 2009
Lonely Planet has this place listed as ‘Our pick’, and yes, the location is original with its tottering old house. Yes, the menu is astounding and the food is nice (though not the best we had in Vietnam).

We ended up with a feeling they tried to swindle us, though. We had landed in Vietnam just a few hours earlier, the trip to this restaurant was our first impression of Hanoi and the country. We had just come from an ATM, and my husband’s wallet was bursting with money. Forty euro’s is little over one million Vietnamese Dong, and the largest bill is 50.000 Dong.

We had received the restaurant bill, which included a couple of small surprises. First of all, the place is not exactly cheap to begin with, but this can be seen on the menu. Then, the staff places packed toothpicks and packed refreshing towels on your table. Anything you open turns up on your bill, which is something they forget to mention when it is put on your table.

I don’t remember the exact amount we had to pay, but since we had this enormous stack of bills in our wallet that all looked exactly the same, we accidently gave the waiter a tip of over 2 million Dong (80 euro, while the dinner was about 15 euro) In total we paid almost a 100 euro.

Stupid mistake, I know. But the staff did nothing to correct us. When they came to get the money, we said it was okay (as in: keep the rest as a tip). They looked at it, thanked us and let us get our bags, walk outside and wait for a taxi in front of the restaurant.

We didn’t realize what we had done until we got back to our hotel. With a lot of help from the kind receptionist at the Hanoi Continental Hotel (can’t stop raving about this lovely place!) we managed to get the huge tip back, but they sure made it difficult. Their knowledge of English had all of a sudden diminished and they just didn’t seem to understand what we were talking about.

Therefore, I would stay clear of this place. Hanoi has many restaurants that serve good food, Highway 4 can easily be skipped and you wouldn’t miss a thing.
kkrater says:
I also went to Highway 4. They have a flashy website, but the service is terrible and the food is totally over-rated. I'll have to write my own review, but I agree wholeheartedly with yours.
Posted on: Aug 08, 2010
Willy2009 says:
Great set of pics !!!
Posted on: Mar 02, 2010
shirlan says:
Just checked out this blog. I have bookmarked it as it looks like the type of trip we would like to take one day. You took so many beatiful photos.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Highway 4

Hanoi Bia hoi
After dark we rode along busy highways from the outskirts, into Hanoi. Highways with rules that were new to us, even after 4 months in south east Asia; It appeared not to be the drivers res…Hanoi. Highways with rules that were new to us, even after 4 months in south east Asia; It appeared not to be the drivers…

Check Hanoi Hotel Deals