Highway 2000

May Pen, Jamaica

Highway 2000 May Pen Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Something different in Jamaica May 05, 2011
I saw something that I never had dreamt about and never had heard about when we were getting close to the landing at Kingston airport; I notice a toll station that indicated that there was a highway on Jamaica; something that I did not imagine.

The Highway 2000 is the centerpiece of a multi-year Millennium Projects Program initiated by the Government of Jamaica announced by Prime Minister P.J. Patterson in September 1999. The main objective of the projects was to upgrade the country’s infrastructure and assist in providing economic opportunities for growth and the creation of jobs.

The Highway 2000 program was planned to connect the capital of Kingston with Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, passing through St. Catherine, Manchester, St. Elizabeth, Westmoreland, Hanover, and St. Ann in all 230-kilometer highway. The highway is a four to six controlled-access, tolled motorway with grade separated interchanges and intersections built according to modern international standards. Tolling of the highway is governed by a Tolling Policy.

The planned highway is still not completed do to overspending and lack of funding. I droved the toll way as much as I could getting to Kingston with a fare of 270Jm$ and after driving the ordinary roads with potholes like the trenches from WWI in Verdun this was a pleasant surprise.
May Pen Map