High Tatras

Vysoke Tatry, Slovakia
High Tatras - High Tatras from a distance(poprad)
High Tatras - View from the mountain
High Tatras - Rock climbing

High Tatras Vysoke Tatry Reviews

Thijs85 Thijs85
The stunning views of the High Tatras Jun 14, 2011
Travelled to the High Tatra's in 2008, and it was worth the trip.

Somewhat of a switzerland in miniature, as the actual mountains of the high tatra only cover a relatively small area.

If you come driving down the road from Bratislava, you can see the flat land and suddenly in the distance you see these mountains. It is not a real mountain front as when you drive to the alps, but still looks very nice!

It isn't that very crowded with tourists either and that makes it an even better spot to visit!

Stayed at a campsite just below Gerlachovský štít, which made our view quite remarkable. Waking up from your tent and looking at the mountains on the one hand, and flat land on the other, very nice.

Only drawback was the constant thunderstorms due to the mountain range, but can't really blame the country for that ;)

Ideal place to stay a short week, as there is enough to do and visit.

Hike up the mountains, take the cable car, go and see wild animals int he mountains. V

Another tip is the Slovakian paradise, which is close by. You can easily spend over a day there, walking around the untouched forests.

At the time we went over there, the highway from bratislava - poprad was still under construction. As a result, we had to drive on and off the highway constantly, 10km highway - 20km secondary roads - 10km highway - etc etc..

Given the fact that that is already over 2 years ago, i think that problem is solved by now :)
View from the mountain
Rock climbing
High Tatras from a distance(poprad)
drobec drobec
Jan 05, 2008
The High Tatras mountains are situated in the northern part of Slovakia, on the border with Poland. In 1949 it was declared to be the first Slovak national park (TANAP) and in 1993 it was together with the polish part of the Tatras mountains declared by the UNESCO to be the "Biospheric reservation of the Tatras".

The High Tatras were created about 60 mil. years ago heaving up the granite massif above the level of the surrounding land. It gained its current appearance by the glacier activity 2 mil. years ago. The characteristic peaks (such as Gerlachovský Peak, Kriváň, Rysy, Lomnický Peak), deep valleys of glacier origin (Mengusovská Valley, The Grand and The Small Cold Valley), moraines and mountain lakes (Štrbské Mountain Lake, Skalnaté Mountain Lake ) were formed the same way, too.

In the region, there are situated villages with numerous historical monuments (Kežmarok, Spišská Sobota, Poprad) and tourist centres (Old Smokovec, Štrbské Mountain Lake, Tatranská Lomnica and Ždiar) with a lot of accommodation facilities. From the above-mentioned centres you can start all day trips to the following attractive destinations (Low Tatras, Pieniny, Slovak Paradise, Levoča, St.Jacob Church, Spiš Castle, Plejsy).
szu says:
vysokie tatry rulez :D I love them
Posted on: Jan 05, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About High Tatras

Entering Vysoke Tatry (The High Tatras)
I left my little sleepy village of Habovka this morning for the High Tatras. I first stopped in at the neighboring village of Zuberec. I had seen a crafts store and peeked in the window on my walk, y…High Tatras. I first stopped in at the neighboring village of Zuberec. I had seen a crafts store and peeked in the window on my walk, yesterday. I found…
High Tatras
I love the High Tatras. Since 2001, I've been there six times. Just take a look at the pictures, how could you not love such stunning scenery? Last time I was there, we didn't have good luck with the…I love the High Tatras. Since 2001, I've been there six times. Just take a look at the pictures…

Check Vysoke Tatry Hotel Deals