High Line Park

www.thehighline.org - (212) 500-6035

High Line Park New York Reviews

ys484 ys484
Good aerial park Jan 10, 2016
We knew nothing about NYC, so we didn't think to go this high line park by ourselves at first. Thanks for my friend's nice choice, we really enjoyed this new sightseeing spot. We entered to this park near Whitney Museum of American Art. There was a long line of people, so we decided not to go this popular art museum. The rain stopped, it was a warm day. That was ideal weather for a walk. When I was seeing flowers, plants, old railroad lines in this promnade, I forgot the din and bustle of a big city. We could see Hudson River, Empire state Building, Chelsea Market and other attractive buildings from high line park. This park is an oasis for city dwellers.
monkeymia79 says:
I think its great how they recycled the train lines and made a green space. Will be visiting there when I'm in NYC.
Posted on: Feb 29, 2016
Bright_guy Bright_g…
The largest elevated park in the world Apr 12, 2012
The High Line is the only park built on an archaic elevated rail line. It's located above the streets on the west side of Manhattan. It's roughly 1.5 miles long and affords anyone that travels along it sites that you would never see anywhere else ever!

The park itself is relatively minimalist but the views from it and the concept itself are what make this a must visit attraction. It's all about wandering along this elevated park's path through the middle of skyscrapers in one of the world’s biggest cities that makes this seem surreal at times. The park has plenty of places to sit down if you need to rest your feet or just want to take in a particular view.

It is FREE however it does close at 10pm but to be honest the best time for this would be on a sunny day in the late afternoon. A good route to follow would be starting at the entrance around 30th street and ending up in the Meatpacking district for a few drinks in an atmospheric bar with friends. It's a great way to spend a slow paced stress free afternoon in the city and easy to see why so many New Yorkers also enjoy the same experience.

There are regular exits every few blocks if you fancy getting off to look at something or grabbing a bite to eat or something to drink along the way. The Highline can be enjoyed by everyone from family to friends to the solitary individual who wants some quiet time or someone looking to impress a date.

I cannot stress enough this is something that you need to see if you're spending some time in NYC. I'd never been anywhere quite like it before and never heard of anything else similar since. The High line is unique.
missandrea81 says:
I'm looking forward to seeing this next week. Great review! Thanks!
Posted on: May 10, 2012
missandrea81 missandr…
Free and unique May 16, 2012
After reading everyone else's review about the High Line Park I had to see it for myself. I took my mother-in-law along for the ride. We walked it from south end at Gansevoort St(near 14th St. subway)all the way to the end. We had fantastic weather.

There were plenty of spots in the shade to rest along the way, and we even got to cool our feet in some cool water along the way.

I think this is a fantastic idea for a park, and I can highly recommend visiting this fairly new NYC attraction.

It is FREE and you get a great view of the Meatpacking District and the West Side.
Look for the sign!
missandrea81 says:
Hmm, it did seem like nature had little to do with it. Too clean. (Notice, I said clean in reference to NYC. lol)
Posted on: May 17, 2012
spocklogic says:
I remember they talked about this in the History Channel series "Life without People", which illustrated how nature can reclaim what man created.
Posted on: May 16, 2012
kevinhongkong kevinhon…
The Newest NYC Icon - The High Line Jul 13, 2011
I have a bit about the High Line (Park) in my NYC blog, but I think highlighting it in a separate review is worthwhile. The High Line is quite new – I think around 3 years old, in fact I did not know about it since I have been using an old Lonely Planet guidebook for NYC for a few years now. I was also was lucky enough to arrive in NYC the week that Section 2 opened up (June 2011). I believe that The High Line will take its place among the iconic places within New York City.

The High Line is a beautiful example of urban renewal. It is a converted old freight railway elevated above the streets a few blocks from the Hudson River. Built originally in the 1920s, I am sure it was a blight and the neighborhood was probably iffy until more recent decades. Now, you can see real signs of urban renewal. What is nice is that it is not mindless urban renewal where the old is discarded for gentrifying everything in a sterile way (as can be seen in many US cities with the converting old warehouses into boring yuppie condos).

Here at the High Line – many aspects of the old – from the actual rails, to the elevated platform, to old warehouses have been incorporated in meaningful ways with the landscaping of the park as well as the fit of the new structures being built around the increasingly popular High Line Park.

The High Line is also a wonderful example of government and individual citizens working together. If you visit the High Line, you will likely run into the enthusiastic (and often young) “Friends of the High Line.” I had a long conversation with a couple of them and they are very interesting and energetic. Make sure you get a program as they have wonderful events scheduled – including times you can go dancing there at night (or on the surrounding rooftops). Unfortunately, nothing was planned during my stay – but checking out events before you come may be worth your time. You can show your support by buying a T-shirt or other items - - you can even join the friends although as a visitor you may not want so much commitment if you don’t live there. One thing that I found out about the friends in that they actually save the City of New York money. The Friends are responsible for a certain percentage of the budget, with the City being responsible for the rest. From my memory, the Friends are responsible for a minority of the funds (something like 35%) but they actually end up contributing about twice as much and the majority of money (something like 60-65%).

OK, enough about what The High Line represents in terms of cities - urban renewal, planning, and management, let’s talk about what it looks like. It is beautiful and it is hard for me to think of any comparable experience in all the cities that I have been to in the world (admittedly not all cities in the world). There are many many photo opportunities in this stunning place. The mixture of the old (warehouses, etc), the new (new buildings that seem well-designed and very modern), and the park gardens (with lovely and hardy wild-looking – often native - plants) is intriguing enough. But, in addition, to that there are other wonderful aspects. The elevated platform allows for some decent views of the Hudson River and New Jersey – and as you go down the trail you have frequent views of the Empire State Building, and later on some views of the Chrysler Building, along with a nice view of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island if you are observant. You also get some nice views down the streets of Manhattan - - and keeping with the wonderful design aspects of The High Line, there are a few innovatively designed sitting areas above the streets - - which are often separated by large panes of glass to lessen the noise and pollution (though these are not very busy streets). But as with everything in The High Line, these are done flawlessly and with style in mind……these places are actually beautiful along with being functional. To further highlight this point, take a look at the stairs when you walk – these are often both well-hidden but also beautifully designed with the larger sense of the structure of The High Line. There are also plenty of seats along The High Line – again the functionality of these places is accompanied by a beautiful sense of design and aesthetics. Finally, The High Line has many beautiful lines, curves, and angles incorporated in the park. When I think about experiencing The High Line, it is like experiencing a very large and complex piece of artwork. How well the whole thing works together, incorporates the proximal surroundings, and is mindful of distal views - - it is all very amazing.

I highly recommend The High Line. It is a new New York icon and you can still see it in its early life. I enjoyed it so much time and distance flew – I was shocked when I reached the end of Section 2 and wished I had more of it to see. :)
The High Line at the bottom of sec…
The High Line at the bottom of sec…
Views of New Jersey
Views of New Jersey
kevinhongkong says:
@andrejav: I share your joy! :) Hmmm, wow I did not see that design. :P Maybe it is here (http://www.thehighline.org/competition/) - but there are hundreds if not thousands of entries. :) (or here - http://www.thehighline.org/competition/winners.php - still too many to look at now :P). I guess the river and waterfall while being spectacular may be a bit too unnatural. One thing I like about the High Line is that it really meshes with and works well with all of the surroundings. :)
Posted on: Jul 19, 2011
pearcetoyou says:
Congratulations on the feature!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2011
andrejav says:
I love this project! I remember when all ideas were considered, and I loved one that had river going part of the way, and there was also a waterfall :)
Posted on: Jul 18, 2011
Glynnes Glynnes
The High Life Oct 13, 2011
Having the afternoon off from work, I ventured to The High Line to meet up with friends and de-stress. Located on the West Side of Manhattan, visitors to The High Line can walk, or sit and relax and simply take in the beautiful scenery and its free. From 30th Street, between 10 and 11th Avenues to Gansevoort Street in the ritzy meatpacking district, I enjoyed being able to view the skyline of Manhattan and the Hudson River without having to worry about cars, or bicycles.

Also, you can take some terrific pictures of the city from the High Line. The weather was warm enough to relax on the benches and soak up the sun, while enjoying a scoop of my favourite ice cream. Thanks! New York for transforming the old train tracks into an absolutely breathtaking walkway-park.

There are some cute places at the entrance on 14th street, if you are looking for great eats, including an awesome beer garden!!!!

With amazing views of the Manhattan Skyline and being a great place to walk to avoid the New York City traffic and chaotic streets, I recommend The High Line as a place to see when visiting New York. Go in the afternoon and watch the sunset.

The High Line

www.thehighline.org
High Line Access Points
Chokk says:
I just loved this place - it will be on my list for the next time too
Posted on: Oct 15, 2011
Glynnes says:

Hey Jamal, Thanks for taking the time to read my High Line review.
Posted on: Oct 14, 2011
Jamal1280 says:
Thanks for writing this up :)
Posted on: Oct 13, 2011
guilhermetr guilherm…
Enjoy the day... Jul 10, 2011
The High Line is located on Manhattan's West Side. It runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to West 34th Street, between 10th & 11th Avenues. Section 1 of the High Line, which opened to the public on June 9, 2009, runs from Gansevoort Street to West 20th Street. Section 2, between West 20th and West 30th Streets, opened June 8, 2011.

Hours

The High Line is open from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM daily. Last entrance to the park is at 10:45 PM.

Access

Access to the High Line is possible via any of the access points listed below. The High Line is fully wheelchair accessible.

Gansevoort Street

14th Street (elevator access)

16th Street (elevator access)

18th Street

20th Street

23rd Street (elevator access coming soon)

26th Street

28th Street

30th Street (elevator access)
Chokk Chokk
A coming icon of New York Apr 02, 2010
We headed for the High Line Elevated Park that turned out to be a great place.

The High Line was built in the 1930s, as part of a massive public-private infrastructure project called the West Side Improvement. It lifted freight traffic 30 feet in the air, removing dangerous trains from the streets of Manhattan's largest industrial district.

No trains have run on the High Line since 1980 and Friends of the High Line, a community-based non-profit group, was formed in 1999 when the historic structure was under threat of demolition.

Friends of the High Line have been working in partnership with the City of New York to preserve and maintain the structure as an elevated public park.

The project gained the City's support in 2002 and the High Line south of 30th Street was donated to the City by CSX Transportation Inc. in 2005. The design team of landscape architects James Corner Field Operations, with architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, created the High Line's public landscape with guidance from a diverse community of High Line supporters.

Construction on the park began in 2006. The first section, from Gansevoort Street to 20th Street, is projected to open in June 2009. It was truly a wonderful and different place to walk; we were not the first this morning but there were not that many out yet.
The High Line Park
A rest in great weather
Resting is possible
Recreation
mainhart mainhart
High on the High Line Jul 24, 2009
The new High Line Park is one of the most unique urban spaces I've ever experienced. Basically it is a former elevated freight rail viaduct in Manhattan. The line has not been used in many years. In that time wild flora started growing on the tracks. When the time came to tear down the viaduct, many protested, wanting to maintain this piece of "wild country" in Manhattan (although on one of the most fabricated of surfaces). New York City Parks Department then landscaped the elevated railway and placed paths and benches along it. The perspective of Manhattan from High Line Park is very unique. You appreciate views of the Hudson River, as well as the architecture of the surrounding buildings from a different perspective. Many of the buildings even fit into the park in an organic way. Somehow it is also very quiet up there. I had heard wonderful things about this very different kind of park, but I was unprepared at how blown away I was by it. Definitely a great addition to New York City!

Related Travel Blogs About High Line Park

The first full day and going all the way
I woke up way too early; I had really hoped that I could sleep until at least 8.30 am but at 6 am I was all awake. I had agreed with Maxime that he would come to my hotel at 9 or 9.30 so we coul…High Line have been working in partnership with the City of New York to preserve and maintain the structure as an elevated public park

Check New York Hotel Deals