Higbee's beach

Higbees beach road, Cape May, NJ, USA

Higbee's beach Cape May Reviews

briggs108 briggs108
Awesome (free) beach Apr 24, 2011
If you're going to be in Cape May, NJ you should spend a day at Higbee's beach. It is my favorite spot in all of NJ. It is a wild nature preserve. If the time of year is right, you can fill up on wild berries and see all sorts of wildlife and plant life (not common in NJ). Overall though, it is just beautiful. What's better? No one goes there. Like really--for how beautiful the place is, no one is ever there I guess because it's a bit out of the way. My friends and I used to grab some beers and start a camp fire on the beach at night, watch the ferries go in and out of the canal and just look out over the ocean and relax. I've camped there multiple times. No one has ever bothered us.

At Higbee's, you can do most of the stuff the public (and crowded) beaches won't let you do (like let your dogs run around and splash in the water). But please note, there are no lifeguards on duty and there is no place to rinse off or go to the bathroom. Also, there aren't any waves. It is a calm, flat beach. It is on the south tip the NJ peninsula so the waves don't hit it.

It used to be a nudist beach. Nudity has since been outlawed although it is still widely tolerated; you can still see people who bare all from time to time. (It is very on the down low; most sunbathers--who are old, like in their sixties--will cover up if you near them. no one really cares either way). It never bothered me at all. I thought I should note this because you may not be comfortable bringing your family there (although families do go there).

But anyway, it really is an amazing spot. Remember to pack extra water and I hope some other people enjoy this spot.

Check Cape May Hotel Deals