Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens

3-70 Higashiyama Motomachi, Nagoya, Japan

Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens Nagoya Reviews

bensonryan bensonry…
Higashiyama Zoo fun for the whole family Jun 28, 2014
Higashiyama Zoo and Botanical Gardens is located in the Aichi Prefecture in Nagoya Japan. It includes a wide array of exotic animals from around the world as well as an amusement park, cherry blossom trees as well flower fields. Fees for adults are 500 yen and children can enter free.

When my wife and I visited on a hot summer Japanese day, we were impressed by how spread out the park was. The amenities are very massive and complementary with gift and eateries at every corner. The animals have a lot of room to act freely.

Each sanctuary of animals have signs in both Japanese and English describing each pedigree with additional scientific data and the geography on which each pertaining animal was found. I found the overall atmosphere of Higashiyama very friendly and appealing. I'm not all into zoos, but I do find wildlife very fascinating as it is. The one major reasons of why we ventured cross country was to see a live honey badger. My wife wanted to visit after watching all the viral videos of the honey badger in action.

The only downside is the questionable climate control of each animal. I admire the challenge that each zoo keeper undertakes to keep the wildlife comfortable in their habitats during Japan's drastic seasonal changes from humid and downright freezing. I'm sure the challenge must be demanding but I didn't notice any enclosed sanctuaries that facilitate for animals that normally dwell in arctic temperatures.

Overall the zoo has a lot more to offer after our one trip there. We've spent four hours there and there is much more to explore. Higashiyama is a solid reccomendation.
walterman9999 says:
nice review
Posted on: Mar 06, 2016
monkeymia79 says:
Thanks for the informative review Ryan, I think the climate control would be a very hard thing to get right.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2016
momiji momiji
Higashiyama zoo Mar 30, 2008
This place you can enjoy 3 things; zoo, botanical garden, and a small amusement park.

Zoo is just a regular size of zoo. I don't think there are unfamiliar

As for amusement park, you pay at the each gate (from 100yen to 300yen) or buy 11(1000yen) or 24 (2000yen) tickets. It's a little bit confusing so if you want to ride a few things then pay when you ride.

It's not too big or too small(amusement park is small). It's just the right size. You won't be tired. Both kids and adults can have fun.

In the spring, you can see cherry blossoms there. They have 3,000 cherry blossoms trees. They even have a picnic space so you can bring your own food from home (lunch box) or anywhere and have a picnic under the trees.

It might be too hot in the summer and too cold in winter so I recommend either spring or fall.
entrance of zoo