Higashiyama Walking Course

Takayama, Japan

Higashiyama Walking Course Takayama Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Nice and enjoyable walk along temples & shrines in Takayama Jul 16, 2000
The Higashiyama Walking Course is one of several walking courses that a person can do when staying in Takayama. I took this course, because it took me along temples & shrines.

The first time was in 2000, doing the walk with the man I shared a room with during my Japan trip and the second time I did it on my own.

One of the great thing about this walk (well, it was when I did it both times), was that I hardly saw anybody else around. Apart from the local citizens who are going on with every day life.

The walk either begins at the Hida Gokokujinja Shrine and ends at the Eikoyin Temple or the other way around. I started both times at the Hida Gokokujinja Shrine. Then made my way through Shiroyama Park.

Then I crossed the Enakogawa River and followed the course through neighbourhoods and passing the various temples and shrines like the Soyuji Temple, the Zennoji Temple, the Hokkeji Temple and the Higashiyama Hakusan-jinja Shrine.

If you enjoy walking have a few hours left, I can highly recommend doing this walk. It´s very relaxing and you can enjoy some really beautiful scenery, both nature and architecture.
Route of the walk
Temple (2000)
Trees (2000)
Bell Tower (2000)
Airportman says:
I agree, the map isn't as easy. but I managed to do the walk. I do think I made a wrong turn somewhere, but still ended on the right path in the end
saltycoco says:
i attempted this walk twice, once when i arrived later afternoon/evening, and then reattempted the following day. sadly i didn't get the map, so i got lost and gave up both times. the arrow directions on the walking path weren't very helpful.
Airportman says:

Related Travel Blogs About Higashiyama Walking Course

Taking the show to Takayama.
Takayama   From Odawara I boarded the Shinkansen Kodama for Nagoya station.  I had about 1 hour to kill before the Hida wide-view Limited Express train arrived.  It was still rai…Takayama which contains a cemetery, temples, shrines, and residential homes.  I was planning on doing the full Higashiyama walking course
Day 9: Sunny day for a temple walk in Takayama
I woke up pretty late, compared to the other days and the long sleep did me good. I ate my breakfast and then headed into the city. It was a nice sunny morning and great for walking around. I ha…Takayama, walking through the city center en route to a walking trail, called the Higashiyama Walking Course that would…

Check Takayama Hotel Deals