Het Dolhuys

www.hetdolhuys.nl - +3123-5410670

Het Dolhuys Haarlem Reviews

LoLaV LoLaV
Monotonous Jun 22, 2012
I went here on a quiet day without a lot of people. Only us and a group student (who weren't very loud).

I actually expected a lot from this museum, because I know much about mental disorders, so there is not a lot people can learn me anymore. Still I wanted to go to this museum, because I live nearby and was interested in the content.

The museum is nearby the bus and trainstation and lies next to a park. I didn't had to pay much for the entrance. What did annoy me, was that I had to leave my jacket and purse, even when I was cold.

If you are interested in depression and psychosis, then this museum might be interesting for you. I know all about depressions, so I got a little bored in this museum. They don't explain much about anorexia, borderline retarted, ADHD etc. There was a room where you can listen to a few people who experienced something like a depression and you can experience how it's like to be in a isolation chamber. There is also a small room where they explain what a psychiatrist is and what he does. YOu also can read what some people in some times thought about, for example ; gay people.

At the end there is a big room to, wich I like the most. You had to put a stethoscope in your ears and you had to put the end stethoscope on/in the shape where it fitted in. On the holes where you can put the stethoscope in, are notes with what kind of text is behind the hole. When you put it on a hole, you can listen to some one like a psychiatrist, doctor, client and priests from different timelines (1600 AC but also 1950 AC). The pole with the holes in it, are in front of things like a bathtub, bed, pictures and other stuff that has something to do with mental hospitals/disorders and the history of it.

What I din't like about that, was the pain in my ears because of the stethoscope.
dqfn1 dqfn1
Psychiatry in Haarlem. Mar 13, 2011
Like Museum Dr. Guislaine this museum is all about pscychiatry, but this time in the Netherlands. Information is all in Dutch. The stories told are all real, some discussed patients are still alive and may even come and visit the museum! Some stories are very recent, others are like ancient. Most important is not the collection, but the experience you have while visiting the museum.

The museum used to be a psychiatric hospital, during the 17th century it was called a dolhuys, home for crazy people in English. But not only the ''dollen'' came here, but lepers and plague sufferers came to this building. This was, of course, not at the same time.

The building dates form before 1413 (!) after that date the building was a hospital of all sorts, up into the 18th century.

Related Travel Blogs About Het Dolhuys

My city of Haarlem
Finally the day has come. I have gone digital!!!! Today i bought my first small digital camera to take on my journey thru europe in a few weeks time. So this blog is a test if my camera will work the…Historisch Museum Haarlem Spaarnestad Fotoarchief Het Dolhuys NZH Vervoersmuseum Draaiorgelmuseum Haarlem   (This blog is in development)    …

Check Haarlem Hotel Deals