Hertz and AAA how they "work"

South Carolina, United States

Hertz and AAA how they "work" Reviews

emmytravel emmytrav…
Deals that are vague, unknown and a little shifty - beware Jan 21, 2011
First I started trying to reserve a car with Hertz at a non-airport location, in person. Asking for cheapest deal - I had AAA and another company coupon. I was quoted a car type and price. I looked online and found a better price using same location. I called to question why not cheapest price? Apparently Hertz reserves the right to NOT reserve the cheapest car for you, but the next one up. I called AAA because only one online coupon available during my rental time, wanting to know when AAA would post more. AAA told me they DO NOT know what will be offered because the offer is made by HERTZ. Here I thought I was paying part of my AAA fees for AAA to secure and arrange discounts, seems HERTZ has all the arranging. Now, I got the % off which by the way is decided by HERTZ and can be 5% to 20% and AAA doesn't know which discount you'll get. So I go with the unknown discount value and add the double upgrade. Conveniently, HERTZ limits the double upgrade to IF AVAILABLE, you can bet NOT available, as happened with me. Now before I returned my cheapest rental I found the registration in the glove box. Apparently HERTZ borrowed/swapped a car with AVIS to be sure to have the cheapest car available and not have to offer me one or two upgrade. BTW none of the other cars on the lot were available - conveniently. BEWARE the deals are not clearly defined % discount or upgrade promises that can easily be swapped out of cars or made unavailable. After all how would John Q Public know and even if suspicious how would you PROVE this type of bait and switch. Oh, my price was cheaper using only AAA than it was using another company coupon and AAA, so beware the person helping you use coupons to get cheapest deal might NOT be helping reduce YOUR cost at all. Again - how would YOU know unless you tried online the different coupon/discount combination?
South Carolina Map