Heritage Windjammer Cruise

Rockland, Maine

Heritage Windjammer Cruise Rockland Reviews

mainhart mainhart
Sailing in Maine! Aug 16, 2002
A few years ago I joined a friend on a good old fashioned windjammer cruise off the coast of Maine. The windjammer was a beautiful wooden sailboat named the Heritage, that is fairly new but built in the 19th centyry style. Rockland & Camden, Maine offer a fleet of different windjammers to take for 4 or 6 day cruises. We opted for a 6 day one. Each day is a new adventure. You can just relax and enjoy the ride as many of the 23 passengers did, or join the crew in doing some of the work of sailing as my friend and I did. It was great fun and adventure. Each day we would anchor in some cove and then canoe ashore and explore. All the meals were eaten in the galley of the boat all together. The food was homemade by the crew and delicious. At night people would sing songs, listen to tales by the Captain, or just admire the quiet, dark night. One day we go to an uninhabited island and have a fresh lobsterbake. You don't get fresher seafood than just caught Maine lobster baked a sandpit with seaweed. The crew treated my friend and I like colleagues. The other passangers were nice, from various walks of life. The cabins were very small but you don't spend much time in them anyway. At least the bunks were comfortable. If traditional cruise ships bore you (as they do me) than maybe this type of action is what you are looking for.

Check Rockland Hotel Deals