Herceg Novi, here and there

Herceg Novi, Serbia

Herceg Novi, here and there Reviews

irmayu irmayu
Jun 28, 1993
Herceg Novi (Castrum Novum, Castel Nuovo) situated in bay of Boka Kotorska. It is not just bay, it is fiord, the only one on Adriatic coast.

It is one of my home cities. I lived there for two years. The area of the Bay of Kotor is characterized by a Mediterranean climate with dry and warm summers and mild winters. But I remeber that my first spring was full of rain and so much plants that i felt that i will drawn in that green botanic sea.

And i found reason, Herceg Novi is town by the sea, so, many of adults go to work on ship. When sailors come back to home town, they bring many different herbs and plant them.

There is so much plants that whole city looks like a big botanic garden. And of course, with all that herbs, there are bugs in any color that you can imagine:)

OK, that was my memory, and today Herceg Novi is simpatic place to visit if you are in Dubrovnik. Just take bus, rent a car, or boat. It is not far away (30 km away)and it is pleasent way to spend a day.

I lived in Njegosheva street which leads to Herceg Stephan Square. You can be said that it is the main street in the town. There are many shops, restaurants and caffes. That street finish on square just below Sahat-kula (Clock Tower), which was built in 1667. There is a sculpture of Madonna in its arcade and it's called the “Black Madonna” since it was built from the burnt wood. I was so surprise when i discover that she is black! :)

And you have to be prepared, Herceg Novi is city of stairs. My legs look fantastic during that period :)

In any way, check it out, it's worth of effort!
old door in old town
you can see entrance in bay behind…
map of south of montenegro
irmayu says:
yes it is :)
...but i found out that i am alergic on polen :(
Posted on: Feb 02, 2008
michellepowell says:
I love the fact the city looks like a botanical garden, I bet it is wonderful in the spring and early summer.
Posted on: Feb 02, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Herceg Novi, here and there

Stuck in Herceg-Novi
We rolled into Herceg-Novi late at night, ready to switch to the next bus and get some sleep. In what seems to be a typical occurance, the bus was oversold and full when it came into town, so we sto…Herceg-Novi late at night, ready to switch to the next bus and get some sleep. In what…
Heading onwards
I let the hotel just before 11 and made my way to the bus station spotting an old British army fire engine known as a Green Goddess. It was an odd thing to see in Montenegro but made me smile. The bu…Herceg Novi took about an hour to wind along the coast road through the greyness of the day. I managed…
Fjords in the south
I got a nice coked breakfast at the hotel and headed out into a damp and grey Kotor. I attempted to navigate the maze of little streets and alleys to the steps leading up to the ruined fortifications…Herceg Novi decided to go there for a look around and pick up the Dubrovnik bus at about…

Compare Herceg Novi Hotel Rates (0.2km away)

Herceg Novi Map