1 Low Rake, Patterdale, United Kingdom

Helvellyn Patterdale Reviews

davidx davidx
Forget the top - enjoy the walks and views. Nov 14, 2010
Having lost most of my walking pictures of England, I place the quality of photos as a major criterion when selecting a website. There are some fine ones here. Having said that, I have to say that I cannot share the enthusiasm for the top. I rate it 5 for its views and the quality of some walks up.

Easily favourite for me was the very popular route from the Patterdale side up to and along Striding Edge. Stridin Edge, the summit and Swirral edge form a sort of cirque or horseshoe around Red Tarn. Both the edges, particularly Striding Edge should be treated as serious ridge walks in spite of their popularity. I have helped people along who have been trembling at the exposure - but he views are great and, for most, the ridge is exhilarating. I should not dream of doing it in wintry conditions.

I'm sorry to say that the flat top of Helvellyn does nothing for me. So a plane has landed and taken off. Is that what mountain tops are for? However there must be something to be said for having the glorious views into other parts of the Lake District without any danger of falling.

Check Patterdale Hotel Deals