Hell's Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen - the bar by us

Hell's Kitchen Minneapolis Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Good Porridge...otherwise not impressive Dec 12, 2011
My friend and I stopped at Hell's Kitchen in downtown Minneapolis for a late breakfast. We heard mixed reviews but wanted to try it. Parking is available all over, but is expensive during the week (cheaper on weekends). We parked in a ramp a few blocks away and took the skywalk to within a street crossing of the front door.

As it was between meal times, the restaurant was pretty empty. The restaurant was quite large with several smaller dining areas. We were seated in a booth in a little room with a bar (I saw at least 1 other bar in the restaurant). We were here for breakfast and the menu offered some typical options (eggs, bacon, pancakes, eggs benedict, etc) and some not so typical (cornmeal waffles, bison sausage and porridge).

I got a standard breakfast - pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon. My friend got a breakfast sandwich and we shared a cup of porridge. The porridge was really, really good. It contained local (Minnesota grown) wild rice, heavy cream, hazlenuts, dried blueberries, cranberries, and maple syrup. It was soooo good! Apparently when they first made it, they had to give it away because no one would order it. The rest of my meal wasn't nearly as good. The pancakes were cornmeal - I didn't like them. They had some "homemade" jams - blackberry and orange marmalade and peanut butter, which were also good.

I was disappointed in my meal. It was a standard meal you can get almost anywhere, so I use it to compare restaurants. It was not impressive at all. But the porridge was outstanding. Next time I will get just the porridge.

Also, they don't seem to have name-brand soda, which is important to some people :) They did have alcoholic drinks...but I decided not for breakfast. Apparently they have a nice happy hour, but I can only speak for breakfast.

The prices were reasonable though. And parking can be tricky. This is someplace you might want to visit if you are already downtown Minneapolis for something else.
Restaurant front
eggs, bacon, toast, and cornmeal p…
open faced breakfast sandwich
yummy porridge
Petra2111 says:
Thanks for sharing!! Greetz Petra
Posted on: Apr 11, 2012
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2011
vances says:
Maybe you should have hit the bar and used some rum as syrup to perk up those cornmeal pancakes!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2011