Heaven Dragon

3730 E. 120th Ave, Thornton, CO, USA

Heaven Dragon Thornton Reviews

bkretzer bkretzer
The President ate Here, sorta Oct 10, 2009
Don’t let the exterior of Heaven Dragon fool you. From the outside, it looks like one of a million other strip mall restaurants. The kind you expect to find with large expansive windows in the front offering outside light, and a long narrow floor plan with tables on two sides. Heaven Dragon is different and you realize that as soon as large gold Buddha greets you, and keeps watch over, owner, Dan Tang’s political memorabilia collection. Mr. Tang is locally famous for the politicos who have eaten or had take-out from his restaurant. Former President George W. Bush had take-out delivered to Air Force One when in town. Pictures of him, Rudy Guilani, and other federal and state political figures adorn the entry way.

But, no one comes here to look at the pictures. They come to eat. A wait of more than five minutes is rare. Not because of the food, but because they do a heavy take out business (If it’s good enough for the President…), so that takes pressure off of the dining room. Once seated, you will be amazed that you are sitting in a strip mall. The décor is amazing. It is spacious, as great in width and depth. It is done in reds, golds and dark wood. There are etched glass partitions between sections. On the walls are large photo murals of China. All of them are stunningly beautiful. The staff is identically and immaculately dressed. Service is prompt and usually attentive. The staff is entirely Chinese, and most have a heavy accent. But, this adds to the charm and ambience.

I would like to tell you that everything on the menu is great. But, I just wouldn’t know for sure. I almost always have the Lemon Chicken. It is great. The dear wife is not much more adventuresome, so our coverage of the menu has been sparse. That said, what we have tried in our many visits is great. Today when we visited it was 25 degrees outside, and this restaurant is 20 miles from our home. When I told Margo I wanted Chinese for dinner, she asked where. I gave her two choices; Heaven Dragon and a local place, three minutes from home, counting getting in the car. She didn’t hesitate in her answer to hit the road. I think it is the best Chinese food in the Denver Metro area!
Heaven Dragon