Healey Tourist Inn

Check Dambulla Hotel Deals

Healey Tourist Inn Dambulla Reviews

gingerbatik gingerba…
Healey Tourist Inn Jun 01, 2013
I have read this place from the guide book and a couple of my friends had stay at this place, so I tough I will check it out. When I arrived there, this place is more like a home stay than a hotel, it has five very basic rooms with fan and no air condition but they do have hot water and clean shower, common area and small garden outside the house. Luckily, all the rooms come with their own shower and toilet; even inside the room is very Spartan, only got a bed with a mosquito net a table and a chair, and not much else. I didn’t see other guest while I was there and mostly I was out sightseeing during day time.

The location is not bad, about midway between the centre of the city and the cave monastery to the south of here. The bus station is within walking distance if you don’t have your luggage with you, otherwise tuk tuk from the bus station to this place cost Rs 1,000 (probably they cheat on me, but I could not get it less than that). The bus from Kandy actually pass this hotel and you can ask the bus conductor to stop in front of the place if you can recognize the hotel sign, it is just pass the big Buddha cave on the left side and on the right side is the Dambulla Heritage Guesthouse.

The house is just at the main road through the city going to Kandy and there doesn’t seem to be much traffic at night and it was very quiet. The rooms all connects to a small dining area where guest can have breakfast or dinner during their stay there. Unfortunately I never manage to eat here since I was out all day sightseeing and usually I ate outside. Cannot comment much on this place, as it was okay for one night stay but would feel cramped and too basic to my liking if stay longer than one night. It is very cheap, cost Rs1,000 per night without breakfast. The owner is friendly but did not speak much when I was there. Basically only showed the rooms and then I paid the room the next morning before leaving.

Next to the house is a bar and also a hotel which rent a room. I manage to check the room before I go to Healey Inn, but for security reason I prefer not to stay here, even the price is similar and the room is bigger than Healey Inn but still very basic room. I also never manage to try the food at this bar restaurant, as that place has too many men outside just sitting, standing and smoking and probably not safe for single female to go there alone and the tuk tuk driver drives me nut as keeps following and talking to take his tuk tuk. Further from this place toward the Dambulla cave, has one nice restaurant which I have my meals.
bedroom
table and chair
shower
handbasin
Lotus28 Lotus28
Cheap, and kind family Aug 11, 2012
I stayed there just for a night during my stay in Dambulla.

It was already 2:30 when I arrived, and I had no choice to take the "cheapest and most shabby room" that they had.

The bathroom was quite shabby at the room I took. It didn't even have flush and it was quite a primitive one. But as far as I saw some of pictures that everyone else posted on some websites or review sites, it should have been just my room.

It was the family run guesthouse and I really liked the couple. The wife was especially warm hearted and she gave me some warnings and tips as a woman. I felt quite safe and comfortable even I was a solo female. She was very helpful whenever I needed some tip, but she never tried to sell anything that I didn't need. I felt they were very trustworthy and nice.

They had mosquito net but I was suffering from bug-bites all during the night. If you're staying there, I'd highly recommend you to take mosquito coil with you.

They had wifi connection at common space. It was too busy to connect at first but once I turned off my phone first and re-connected with a different DNP address, it got very smooth.

Overall, it was OK to stay there. But if you arrive late in the afternoon and want a better room, you should check it out the guesthouses right in front of Golden Temple. There were some more options and I just didn't notice that.
tj1777 tj1777
Healey Tourist Inn Sep 12, 2011
Healey Tourist Inn is a small inn located in Dambulla - it is about midway between the centre of the city and the cave monastery to the south of here. Healey Tourist Inn is a small hotel in a family house. The family seems to rent out three rooms on the ground floor and then live on the second floor of the house. All the rooms come with their own shower and toilet.

The room got a bed with a mosquito net a table and a chair - and not much else. The bathroom is basic as well. There is no air condition in the rooms - but you need to get used to the climate anyways if you want to go out during the day anyways.

The house is just at the main road through the city going to Kandy - but there doesn’t seem to be much traffic at night. At least I didn’t hear any noise from the street during the night and my room was the one facing the road.

The rooms all connects to a small dining area where you may be able to eat during your stay. Unfortunately I never manage to eat here since you are required to order any meals far in advance so the wife of the family can go out and shop for the meal. This goes not just for dinner or lunch - but breakfast as well - when we got back from the cave monastery at a bit before seven at night we were told it was too late to order breakfast for the next day.

The lack of food at the hotel isn’t too big a problem - right next door is a touristy looking place which serves meals at night and in the morning. They have a bar as well where you can go for a drink at night. The guest in the bar all seems to be local men - they seem quite friendly but you never know how a lone woman traveler will be received at a place like this. I am not sure how the food is at this hotel though since we went to a more local place just a bit further down the road.

You are supposed to leave Heyley at a reasonable time in the morning but you can leave your backs in the dining room if you want to out and explore some of the attractions in the nearby area. It can be convenient to leave your backs here if you want to go on a half day trip to Sigiriya and then go back and pick up your backs before you leave for Kandy, Anuradhapura or Polonnaruwa like we did.
The bed
The bathroom
The dining room
The entrance with a small living r…

Check Dambulla Hotel Deals