Healesville Sanctuary

Badger Creek Road, Healesville, Australia

Healesville Sanctuary Reviews

Chelsea Chelsea
May 05, 2007
Healesville is about an hour and a half out of the city. Healesville Sanctuary is one of the three animal parks you can visit in Melbourne. The first is the Melbourne Zoo, which is close to the city. The second is the open-range zoo in Werribee, and the third is Healesville Sanctuary.

Healesville Sanctuary could probably do with being re-named Melbourne Bird Park, purely because the park holds only a handful of mammals and reptiles, but about fifty thousand bird species. (I'm exaggerating, don't get too excited! My point is, there are a lot of birds.)

But all the species at Healesville Sanctuary have in something in common: the fact that most of them are unique to Australia. You won't find giraffes, flamingoes or water buffaloes here. If you want the quintessential Australian native species experience, Healesville is the place to visit.

Here, you can pat koalas, hold baby wombats, have lunch with kangaroos and witness the eccentricity of the platypus. The Birds of Prey show is well worth seeing; it's a chance to see raptors up close, and to watch as they exhibit distinctive species behaviour.

The enclosures at Healesville Sanctuary are predominantly walk-in enclosures and aviaries. As such, it's a great place to build on your Australian wildlife encounters.

Related Travel Blogs About Healesville Sanctuary

Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary
Today we randomly decided to go to Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary which is 'an hour outside Melbourne'. We set off on the tram (our first tram) down to Flinders Street, then caught the train to Lilyd…Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary which is 'an hour outside Melbourne'. We set off on the tram (our first tram) down…
Healesville Sanctuary
   I was up early.  Even after receiving a warm Aussie welcome from my friend and his family the night before.  Happily, with a cup of coffee (a cure to the cure-all), there was s…Healesville Sanctuary was just a short drive away.  When we arrived, there were only several cars in the parking…
Healseville Sanctuary
Having an American friend along for the ride was certain to give me a laugh. After the hangover was subdued we, Macca and I, got into the beast and made the short trip to the sanctuary. The weather c…Healesville sanctuary I recommend that you do as we did and "meet the keeper" with as many animals as possible…

Check Healesville Hotel Deals