Hawaii Volcano Tours

(808) 966-4200

Hawaii Volcano Tours Kalapana Reviews

csabo csabo
Walking on coals... Mar 20, 2008
At first Kalapana seems a little anti-climatic...I mean you have to drive through the middle of nowhere to park. Then you have to walk about 30+ minutes while being observed by guards. (Watch out because they say you must be wearing tennis shoes but I walked all the way with Tevas so you can get away with it.) :D

Think about what you a doing and take your time! You are walking over lava; lava that was once thousands of degrees. It destroyed it path but in years to come wildlife will start to grow again. Absolutely amazing...

There is no guarantee about what will be happening when you get out there but I suggest starting your walk about 6:30pm and take a flashlight. (I made it without one but I really had to watch my step.) There will a lot of people but it will be light enough to enjoy the lava flows on the way out. Dusk will fall and you will be able to see the lava flowing into the ocean. The steam and the glowing is truly amazing. Hard to capture on film. It will be dark on the way back in but I think it is very much worth it.

There is no cost to drive out to Kalapana other than your car and gasoline. Very worth while! Everyone I took loved it!
Lava flowing into the ocean at Kal…
Pahoehoe Lava Flows at Kalapana
bwbursey bwbursey
Jul 20, 2007
Check out the 2007 vid "An Adventure on the Kalapana Lava Field":

Compare Kaimu Hotel Rates (1.4km away)

Hawaii Volcano Tours Map