Bar Harbor, Maine

Havana Bar Harbor Reviews

mrgishi mrgishi
Cuban in Maine? Oct 05, 2008
If you are visiting Bar Harbor and want a break from the everyday seafood and typical New England food, Havana is definitely unique and different than every other restaurant on Mount Desert Island. Even though it has the Cuban name and some Cuban inspired dishes, I wouldn't really call it a Cuban restaurant. It has more of a modern, eclectic menu with a bit of Nuevo Latino fusion. The food was expertly prepared and presented like what you would expect in an upscale, chic restaurant in the New York City area. The rooms are scattered through a couple of barely attached buildings. The corridor between is actually outside. We sat in the back building, which has two rooms decked out in hardwood that feel like a cross between a library/study and a nice deck at a cabin.

I started with roasted duck carnitas on fried plantains and grilled pineapple, which I had with a glass of cava. Then for the main course, I had short ribs with avocado and cilantro with mustard greens and apple/cheddar mashed root vegetables that I had with a glass of an Austrian Grenache/Syrah blend. The wine selection was surprisingly diverse even in the "by the glass" section. Service was also excellent. Havana was a nice surprise and a great change of pace from the rest of the trip.

Related Travel Blogs About Havana

Gardens and Schoodic Point
We went into town for breakfast and found a little place tucked down an alley called Cafe This Way.  It was a great surprise.  It looks like it used to be a garage with a concrete floor and…Havana in Bar Harbor for a change from the typical seafood fare.  I was pleasantly surprised at both the quality…

Check Bar Harbor Hotel Deals