Havana Vieja

Havana, Cuba

Havana Vieja Reviews

gmkell gmkell
Visually stunning, but not an easy destination. May 22, 2015
I went to stay in Havana, Cuba for a week in April 2015.

The flight prices were pretty typical for the Caribbean. The hotel I stayed in was classed as 5* but lacked the luxury expected.

Bearing in mind all that Cuba has witnessed in previous years, you can make excuses for their style in service and level of comfort... you can forgive.

Generally service was of a low standard, but not all round. We received a lot of abuse in a restaurant when they brought us the wrong food (which was not our fault).

Visually, this country is a photographers paradise. The mix of derelict buildings with vibrant colours and plush vegetation. The contradiction of poverty, but beautiful sunsets and a sense of vibrancy within the community.

Health and safety leaves something to be desired. During my time there they were digging holes in the road and with no second thought, dumping the contents of the digger right next to your feet.

No street lights at night in Havana.

Stray dogs roam the streets.

We received a bit of racism. :-(

Not much availability when it comes to shopping, as it is a communist country they do not stock all that most are used to.

But if you search out well, you can find some beautiful little restaurants, some absolutely amazing views, fabulous cocktails and some gems of people.

Tours in the American cars are just the ticket.. you pay by the hour and they zoom you around the areas that you pick. Best to go when the sun is setting, as there is no chance for shade in the open top car and the colours in the buildings become so deep and pleasing to the eye and the lens.

If you are a traveler looking for comfort and luxury, I would not generally recommend this destination. Maybe it is because I stayed in central Havana but it was a little stressful getting to and from places The heat added to this issue. ha ha. Average of 36-38 degrees celcius. People are constantly asking if you want a taxi, which after a while can become a little irritating.

Beautiful country. Stunning.
halilee halilee
Gorgeous architecture, great ambience Jul 17, 2012
We went to havana as a family of 6. Two adults and 4 children ages 8 to 13. The architecture here is fantastic, with buildings in varying states of disrepair to being in the midst of repair or repaired. Many old cars driving around or parked. Some cuban people in traditional dress, music playing in some hotels or bars. Loved the ambience and feel to the city. There were some beggars and people trying to sell things, but none of them were aggressive or pushy towards us. We stopped in a chocolate shop for some hot chocolate and at a restaurant for lunch ( which our tour guide brought us to and was very overpriced in our opinion at $16-18 per person per plate not including drinks. We were worried the kids would be bored, but as it turned out, they had a great time and loved Havana!
halilee says:
LOL India I must admit attracts me more than Cuba, but Havana was definately the highlight for us in Cuba.
Posted on: Jul 19, 2012
Paulovic says:
For sure I want to go to Cuba one day! :D I almost went last year, but plans changed into India, haha! What a difference!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2012
rsvpme says:
Nice recap....
Posted on: Jul 17, 2012
kumari2rani kumari2r…
For the Romantic at Heart Mar 22, 2011
The music will carry you away, the smells the sounds the people all yells love in the air. The slow tempo of life and the humidity add to the romantic but perfectly old historic town of Havana Vieja. I cannot help but recommend to anyone to get lost through the streets, make new friends just by smiling, and take in all the beauty that surrounds you. Stroll from Havana Vieja to the melecon and discover the locals along the way! It is a place you will never forget where modern day meets a history well preserved.
derekbilldaly says:
Nicely written, I cannot wait to experience the tempo of life there!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2011
bkowalska bkowalska
drinks May 08, 2011
Havana - best mojito thanks to Ernest Hemingway ,

old Havana, international hotel - ;-( , incredible cars and blue buildings. East Cuba - unbelievable beautiful , no tourists - yea , Santiago de Cuba - grate place to party - especially casa de la tradicion
WildPlume WildPlume
Wonderful City Apr 11, 2011
Take your time exploring. For a touristy trip, visit the markets, take a trip through the Havana Club (where Havana Nights was filmed), pick up your cigars in the old city. Visit the hotel Ernest Hemingway spent three years of his life at.

Related Travel Blogs About Havana Vieja

The heartbeat of Cuba - Havana Vieja
The capital of Cuba didn't dissapoint.  The two days we had were well used and my shoes were well worn after the city tour.  The advantages of taking an organised tour were immediately appa…Havana Vieja (Old Havana) is the historical centre of Havana.  Filled with atmospheric streets, 1950's architecture…

Check Havana Hotel Deals