Hauptbahnhof - Frankfurt Main Station

Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Hauptbahnhof - Frankfurt Main Station Frankfurt am Main Reviews

dougal dougal
Aug 04, 2006
Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof is massive - probably the biggest train station I’ve ever been to!!  (Hey - I'm not exactly Alan Whicker you know!)

The huge curved roofs house over 25 platforms from where you can catch a train to virtually anywhere in Europe and probably many places beside.  Consequently it is nearly always extremely busy.

The forecourt holds more bars, restaurants and food vendors than a reasonable sized shopping mall with everything from the ubiquitous American burger bars to a Thai Noodle Bar.

And it doesn't stop there - if you venture down into the underground station below it there are further miles of passageways filled with shops and bars.

Anyway - onto my tip as this is supposed to be a 'things to know' section:

German train timetables can be a bit confusing if you're not used to them.  A better idea is to visit the information point which is located in the centre of the forecourt just in front of the main exit.  Here friendly rail staff will happily print out a customised timetable for you based on your destination and the time you’d be looking to depart / arrive - all much easier than trying to keep track of the standard timetables!!

Also, if you're just arriving in the city then it's worth visiting the tourist information located on the right by the outer doors where a useful English language map of the U-Bahn / S-Bahn / tram system can be purchased for 50 cents (you have to ask for it at the counter.)  As Frankfurt has such a fantastic public transport system you might as well make the most of it!!

Related Travel Blogs About Hauptbahnhof - Frankfurt Main Station

Cold Frankfurt but always warm in my heart.
The fact is, Frankfurt is the most visited city I have been in the world. The reason I am frequently there because of my work and also my main transit station to wherever I want to go next. Frankfurt…Hauptbahnhof, the main railway station. I like to walk around the Frankfurt am Main, either window shopping…

Check Frankfurt am Main Hotel Deals