¡Hasta la Vuelta!, Señor

Quito, Ecuador

¡Hasta la Vuelta!, Señor Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Rather disappointing Oct 25, 2012
On the evening of our return to Quito from the Galápagos Islands we decided to go back to the Archbishop’s Palace to sample another of its restaurants, Hasta la Vuelta Señor. It had been recommended by our local friend Marcello, and we were pleased when we arrived to see some familiar faces – Ryan and Mele, who had been on our Galápagos with us, were eating at the next table to ours with a local friend of their own. It was good to know that a place that looked pretty touristy was also a popular choice with Quito residents.

We ordered a plate of empanadas to start with. Made with yucca flour and a cheese filling, they were delicious. But I was disappointed with my main course. I had chosen the seco de chivo – goat stew, a traditional favourite (although the English menu said lamb – a concession to tourist tastes, perhaps?). However, the meat was rather dry and seemed over-cooked to me, and the boiled potato and rice that accompanied it weren’t great either. Chris had a sandwich “de la Ronda”, with turkey and cheese, and said it was OK but nothing special. We paid just under $40, including service and two Club beers, which was quite a lot for what we had eaten.

This is an attractive restaurant in a lovely setting, and has a lot of history behind it, but from our admittedly limited experience you would do better to opt for the Café del Fraile on the floor below.
Hasta la Vuelta Señor