Hase-dera Temple

www.hasedera.jp - 0744-47-7001

Hase-dera Temple Kamakura Reviews

anewchapter anewchap…
Zen Overload Jun 03, 2014
On my last day in Japan I decided to make a day trip from Tokyo to Kamakura. The train ride is about an hour long and then you had to take a 5 minute tram ride, followed by a 2 minute walk to Hase-Dera Temple entrance.

In all honesty I wasn't expecting much from this day trip. I had already seen plenty of temples and shrines and just assumed that this would be just another one. I'm glad to say that I was wrong.

From the second you walk through the gate you are struck by the beauty of the place. I picked a perfect day, the sun was shining and the visitors were minimal.

The gardens were so immaculate. Just perfect. I'm not sure that I've seen a more beautiful place than this. I could have happily cut off all of my hair, sat down and started meditating. My last day in Japan...I love Japan!

There's an entrance to a cave that you have to crouch down to go through. Inside are some scary looking statues. The cave is also good for voice echoes..I couldn't resist ;)

After you exit the cave you walk up some steps and when you reach the top, you turn around and see what looks like the whole of Kamakura. I even saw the ocean for the first time in 2 weeks. Just beautiful.

There's a restaurant at the top of the hill and I couldn't think of a better place to chill out and sip green tea.

The temple itself was nice, clean and everything you'd expect.

In all I was at Hase-Dera for around 90 minutes and took around 150 photos! I probably could have been there longer and taken more photos.

I highly recommend visiting this place. It felt like a hidden gem.
trippin_jen says:
Hahaha! !! Dying cow! ! That'll be interesting! Hahaha! !!
Posted on: Jun 04, 2014
anewchapter says:
No plans on a temple stay...yet!!
The animal noise I made sounded mostly like a dying cow :/
The tea may have had some hallucinogens in it because I was floating afterwards! :)
Posted on: Jun 04, 2014
trippin_jen says:
You took 150 photos but posted only 8.
Posted on: Jun 03, 2014