Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar

(757) 827-0600

Harpoon Larry's Oyster Bar Hampton Reviews

lulusartshack lulusart…
Great seafood worth the drive! Jul 12, 2008
We had come here on the recommendation of one of my husband's friends who lives in Hampton and to meet up some people for lunch and drinks. Harpoon Larry's isn't much to look at from the outside, looks like a run down little dive, but don't let that scare you off! The seafood is the best we've had so far in Virginia, at prices you'd expect for seafood when you live close to the water.

We ordered fried calamari to start with. It had a light bread coating and the calamari were soft and tender. They also included the tentacle-y parts that nobody seems to like (and me and the hubs LOVE) and is not normally included at chain restaurants. So if you're like me and love the tentacles, they give you a few, and if you're like most people I know and are freaked out by them, there's plenty more of the little round pieces to keep you satisfied. Trust me though, you're not going to want to share!

For our meal I had grilled Mahi-mahi (or dolphin-fish, depending where you're from) and my husband had grilled flounder. Both were tender, fresh, lightly seasoned and delicious. They have the list of the catch of the day and they'll cook the fish whichever way you like it (grilled, blackened, broiled, steamed or fried). The fries were just ok, standard pre-fabricated crinkle fries, but you don't come here for the fries. Our friends had shrimp (which they said was either too salty or serving wasn't big enough), crabcake ("very good") and grilled flounder with red potatoes ("excellent!"). We also snacked on what came out to be something like 4 baskets of hushpuppies and tried some soft-shell crab as it is in season. The huspuppies were AMAZING, and the soft-shell crab... well, I guess that's something of an acquired taste. Everyone else thought it was awesome, me and the hubs had never heard of soft-shells til we moved to Virginia, and we couldn't get over the texture. (maybe next time I'll have it in a sandwich...)

They also have a full bar and a small non-smoking section. The selection of beer is pretty good, and though it isn't massive, there's enough variety there to make everyone happy.

So even though it's a bit of a drive from the beaches or Williamsburg, it's totally worth it for the seafood! Remember to check out the chalk-board for the specials and the catch of the day!

Check Hampton Hotel Deals