Harper Kuta Hotel

Check Kuta Hotel Deals

Harper Kuta Hotel Reviews

MannyK MannyK
Hidden affordable gem in the middle of 'wild' Kuta Sep 03, 2014
This was my first trip to Bali, actually my first holiday trip anywhere alone in 15 years. So I was excited. I also had heard stories about Bali, good and bad, especially about Kuta- "you don't want to go there"..."it's too crazy"..... "a massage could change your life forever and not in a good way either",...." you are definitely too old to be going to Kuta"...."don't look at the vendors in the eye, they will follow you back to your hotel"...,and many more crazy comments. It made me more determined to see what all the fuss was about.

I figured I would go to a relatively new hotel in Kuta- probably be located on the outskirts, so I could escape back to my hotel when it got too crazy and I would be fine. Now I have lived in New York for 2 years- and this was back in the mid-80s when New York was really rough (pre-Mayor Guilliani). But the advice coming from almost everyone I knew made me a little wary.

Even when I arrived, I was already getting heckled by a little man at the baggage claim who insisted on carrying my already light luggage and guide me to the taxis with the biggest smile on his face, until I gave him my "generous" tip of 5000 rupiah- The look on face could have killed- unfortunately I was determined not to give in until I knew what the money conversion was. I was horrified later on to know I had given the poor guy a 50c tip - if I ever find him, I owe him $10 at least.

Anyway the holiday was officially on for me and I was on my way from Denpassar Airport to my first port of call, Harper Kuta hotel. I leaned back in my seat expecting a long drive, at least 20 minutes to Kuta and then another 15 minutes to the suburbs.

It was 8:30pm and the streets were already coming alive- it did not look as scary as they had made it out to be. We finally arrived at Kuta and I started to look out for key places just in case I wanted to take a motorbike or taxi ride back.

I noticed this multi-storey building called the Sky garden- the driver explained it to be a night-club cum pub cum entertainment place. I figured I might take a cab back to see it later in the week. A minute later he turned to the right and I was wondering if he was taking a detour when suddenly ahead I could see the large signs of the hotel. It was right in the heart of bustling Kuta!! I felt like Batman for the next couple of days as I would come out the bat cave with all it's nice facilities and in seconds I was in the thick of things, night clubs, pubs, restaurants, clothing and surf shops and more! I never needed a taxi at all!

So on my first night in true Bali welcome fashion I was given the tropical fruit drink, ushered to my room which was very modern, with the glass wall between ensuite and bedroom( with optional drop-blind) completing the modern look of the room.

I was offered various discounted services in terms of the spa and a free lunch - the breakfast came with the package- full western breakfast as well as the Balinese side meals which I enjoyed and stuffed my face everyday of my stay.

The hotel was very clean, free wifi was standard, lots of TV channels and paid-per view channels like HBO came with the room- pool was nice but not warm. But it was warm enough outside to enjoy the swim. The staff was impeccable in terms of help and advice- and even small talk.

They gave me a list of places to go to when I asked and to my surprise virtually every one of these places were within 10 minutes walking distance of the hotel! Talk about a Central location - Bounty night club, Reggae, Skygarden, Kuta beach, various temples, market places, shopping streets, surf shops, Hard Rock Café and various restaurants. The hotel is so hidden, and new, some taxi drivers don't even know it is right there under their noses. Security gate check point was there 24 hours although I didn't feel there was a need, which was a good sign.

The spa there was very good- I had several massages in the hotels I stayed and along the main streets nearby and generally you can tell the difference- they are better trained in the hotel spas but it is almost 50-70% more. But for a difference of about $7, it is worth it. The food in Bali tastes great to me whether you are in the hotel or in the smallest shack down the street based on my short time there. So I ate both outside and in the hotel restaurant.

The cleaners were flexible with the times to clean my room- I just had to tell them- so I did not have to always remember to put the "back off" sign on my door and wonder with trepidation while in the shower if I had remembered!

Laundry was very cheap- about 50c a clothing- give or take a dollar, and they are ironed and pressed- even the undergarments!

NB - Kuta was much nicer than people made it out to be. The vendors would hustle to get a sale- but were harmless and friendly, even helpful with directions- yes you would be sometimes offered everything possible under the sun but as a traveller, you have a choice.

So the Harper Kuta Hotel was a pleasant surprise- stashed away like a suitcase full of cash under a bench at a busy bus station - my little secret. My next stop was Ubud which I wrote about already- 2 different but nice places.
The very helpful and intelligent h…
My Harper Kuta Hotel room
My Harper Kuta Hotel room
Legian Rd- endless row of motorbik…

Check Kuta Hotel Deals