Hardknott Pass

Ravenglass, England

Hardknott Pass Ravenglass Reviews

davidx davidx
Drivers' treat or drivers' dread Nov 14, 2010
The 5 rating shows which I found it when I could drive - but I should not like being a passenger in a car over it. It is one of the very steepest roads in all the UK, winding and single track. The top is about 1290 feet above sea level and the slope in parts is as high as 1:3 (approximately 33%).

Hardknott Pass carries the road between Eskdale and the Duddon Valley. From here Wrynose Pass, only a bit less severe, continues to Little Langdale. This takes you right through central Lakeland and the top is a reasonable point of access for Scafell Pike, England's highest point.

Although there is no toll, with earlier cars it must have been the cause of considerable expense. I remember seeing cars with smoke rising and the smell of knackered clutches! My own engine was rapidly overheating and the top came just in time. However my most scary moment came when I realised that the woman driving down towards me on the Duddon side as I was going up had her eyes closed!!!

Near the top on the Eskdale side you can see remains of what must have been one of the most remote Roman forts. From here even a posting to Hadrian's Wall would surely have seemed desirable!

Check Ravenglass Hotel Deals