G/F Sunrise Building, Marikina, Philippines

Hap Chan Tea House, Marikina Reviews

Daive Daive
There's room for improvement. Apr 06, 2011
A new branch of Hap Chan Tea House, one of Manila's popular Chinese restaurants, opened in Marikina City, along Gil Fernando Ave. (former Tuazon, past the LTO ofc), last October. I finally got the chance to visit & dine at the place today with my mum since I was craving for my favorite which can only be found at Hap Chan (prepared the way I like it, with lots of garlic!).

Ambience:

The place is clean (new), well lit, no foul smells, and cozy. Each table having a mini menu of their specialties which you can flip through, the usual chinese soy sauce and chili-garlic containers, a tissue dispenser, and plates & utensils for each chair.

The bathrooms are located outside the resto but are clean, well-maintained, and with tissue & liquid soap dipensers.

Menu:

This branch doesn't seem to serve the full Hap Chan menu but that's okay because all the crowd favorites are on the list (Fried rice mixes, noodles, dimsums, veggies, tofu, meat/seafood in S&P/tausi/batter/steamed, desserts, congees, rice toppings, etc)

My Menu Recommendations:

*Hakaw (Dimsum-shrimp in sticky rice wrapper)

*Spareribs with Tausi Sauce (Dimsum)

*Steamed Fish Fillet w/ Garlic

*Yang Chow or (any) Salted Fish Fried Rice

*Beef Brisket noodle soup or rice topping

*Taiwan Pechay

*Chilled Taho with Sago (a soy & tapioca dessert)

*Mango Sago (a mango & tapioca dessert)

*Buchi (dessert or snack)

After odering the waiter takes away the extra plates & utensils and also brings you dip saucers with Calamansi (local lime version)... okay, that's off to a good start (I thought).

Then came the house tea which was served in Hap Chan's signature white pot...uh-oh, something's wrong here- the tea tasted bad and smelled bad as well, like it was... old/spoiled? We asked for another pot, which confirmed that it was indeed bad tea because the next pot tasted different (and right).

My mum, unfortunately drank a cup full (chinese tea cup) of the bad tea so I was worried that her tummy might ache so I asked for water. Had to ask twice before the water came, AND they only brought one glass- what about me?? ;)

The food, thank God, tasted good and was what I expected of how it should taste... which saved this whole review, if you ask me. However, I have to say it, the staff needs more training on the kind of "service" that they provide. The tea shouldn't have gone out that kitchen if it's been sitting in that pot since the day before (yuck!). And the staff need to re-learn their "sorrys" and "thank yous". Plus, a little more attentiveness please... :)
Hap Chan Tea House - new branch in…
Inside Hap Chan Tea House, Marikina
Africancrab says:
Nice review
Posted on: Apr 07, 2011
Daive says:
haha thanks, p&s only..not patient enough for dslr! haha
Posted on: Apr 07, 2011

Compare San Juan City Hotel Rates (7.5km away)

Hap Chan Tea House, Marikina Map