Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa

42 Amuri Avenue
03-315 0000
Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa - This area close to Hanmer most will not visit.
It is the Hydro road heading towards the West Coast
Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa - one of the smaller pools.
Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa - One of the hot thermal pools.

Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa Reviews

glennisnz glennisnz
Hot Thermal and Mineral Pools Apr 21, 2010
The Hanmer Springs Hot Thermal and Mineral Pools are just great for relaxing. There are many different sized pools and many different degrees of water temperature, you just try them all until you find the one with just the right temperature for you. There are tiny pools where you can be quite private and large swimming pools where you can actually swim in the warm waters while having all your aches and pains just soaked away.

You can follow this soak with a spa or sauna if you wish and there is also a cafe with great food and drinks available.
One of the hot thermal pools.
one of the smaller pools.
shirlan says:
Great review but I couldn't help thinking of Goldilocks and the 3 bears while reading it.
We looked at all of the pools and it was busy. That is what turned us off. The day we were there it was cold and raining. It would have been nice if there had been snow. It is a very popular place though.
Posted on: Apr 21, 2010
Besandri Besandri
Great facilities and setting Jan 01, 2008
Hanmer Springs has been a favourite destination for those that live in Christchurch (1.5 hrs) for a long time.

The pools used to belong to the hospital and was used for it's healing properties.

Recently millions of dollars has been spent on the facilities and it has become a major tourist attraction. The town of Hanmer has grown just as fast with a lot of new building developments.

If you want accommodation in the peak holiday season you may struggle but out of season a lot of the holiday homes are available for rent. www.hanmerholidayhomes.co.nz

It is magic in winter when it is snowing and you are sitting in the pools :)

But even in the summer the giant sequoia trees that surround the pool are majestic.

There are about 10 different pools of varying temperatures and features, eg water jets.

You can get a day pass for the pool and if you are over 60 don't forget to ask for a seniors pass.

A lot of people will spend the full day at the pool taking a picnic lunch with them

Most people can't stay in the pool for more than 1 or 2 hours, after that it becomes just too much.

They have a spinning machine in the change rooms that quickly dries your costume. I have never seen one of these anywhere else. The machine only hold one item at a time. It's a great toy!

They have a restaurant within the premises so you can dine after your swim or as a lunch break.

They have massage rooms and private pools and a tourist store as part of the complex.
This area close to Hanmer most wil…
ozlad ozlad
Smelly but mostly enjoyable. Sep 10, 2008
I think this is a general touristy thing to do, which is something i don't normally do however the day I went here was the thing that made it most enjoyable.

It is nestled in amongst the most beautiful mountains and they were all snow covered, it had been raining all night but had stopped for the morning.So the 2 hour drive from Christchurch was a spectacular sight in itself.

Driving past mountains and rivers, odd rock formations and breathtaking winding roads.

We eventually pulled up in this sleepy little town that hosted the Hamner Springs Hot Pools.

Parking the car, it was strange how quiet it was, probably to do with the weather?

We strolled in and paid our admission fee, the memorable part of this was the lady behind the counter, she had the customer service down to a tee, so so friendly and was nice to walk in smiling!

As soon as we made our way into the where the pools were? the smell hit me! almost unbearable smell of sulfar was almost enough for me to turn and walk back out...I figured i had come all this way so i may as well do what i came to do.

Took the clothes off down to my boardies that actually stood out like a sore thumb! held my breathe and stepped down into one of the hot pools, and it was at that point i was stoked i made the decision to stay, after a while the smell tends to fade, but the heat in the water and the feel of the water made me want to sit in it for hours.

Shutting my eyes for a little while i almost forgot where i was, then i opened my eyes and really took in the scenery around me...it was just so relaxing.

If you can get past the smell? you will stay for hours and hours.
apetchell apetchell
Delicious at night! Aug 20, 2008
The best hot pools ever. All rock pools, and with the lights on at night, hot water and steam everywhere, how can you not love it!

Its a must do in Hanmer!

I went there with my partner at the time, and it was our favourite place on the entire trip!

Very hot steamy and romantic ;)
Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools & Spa Map