Handel Museum

London, England

Handel Museum London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Handel Museum Sep 23, 2012
The Handel Museum is a small museum about, no surprises here, Handel. It’s not the sort of thing I would normally visit, but there was a free museum day and so I went on a whim.

It is moderately interesting, especially if you like Handel’s music. Classical music is a gaping, yawning hole in my education and my knowledge of Handel goes as far as he’s the man who wrote the Hallelujah Chorus; I only know that because it’s parodied so often. He was a baroque composer, and extremely popular in his heyday in Georgian London – there’s a good chance that I actually know a lot more of his music than I think I do because it is almost certainly in the background of a lot of the period dramas I’ve seen.

Anyway, the museum contains some information about him and his music, his life, and fashions for music in Georgian London. It also has quite a lot of information about Jimi Hendrix, who lived next door and several hundred years away. There is some period furniture, and some costumes for children to dress up in.

The highlight for me was when someone came in and started to play some baroque music on the Harpsichord. Harpsichords are beautiful instruments, and I would have listened a lot longer if the friends I was with weren’t clearly keen to be going. For me, that was the only thing in the museum that brought the era and the music to clear life.

We got in free, but there is normally an entrance charge. Musicians aren’t guaranteed, although they actively encourage musicians and music students to come in to practice so that Handel’s legacy is properly respected – most of the contemporary descriptions describe a man who loved life and music and got on with people, who wouldn’t have wanted a silent museum in his memory. I don’t think this museum would be worth the entrance fee unless you had a musician there, or were a huge Handel fan, but I would advise going if you like classical music and there is some sort of live music on. I don’t think it would be great for children, either – although there are some costumes, I think the rest of the exhibits would be too abstract for them and they’d get itchy to leave. The house is tall and narrow, but there is a lift if you need one.
sarahelaine says:
Almost certainly- I wouldn't be able to name it, though! I think next time I have time it will be worth a trip to a record shop to get a couple of CDs. :)
Posted on: Oct 24, 2012
Andy99 says:
You've probably heard the Water Music and Royal Fireworks Music. :)
Posted on: Oct 23, 2012