Hanauma Bay

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hanauma Bay - Overlooking the Beach from the Walk up to the Parking Lot
Hanauma Bay - View of the bay from the path walking down.

Hanauma Bay Honolulu Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
AMAZING! Dec 13, 2009
One of the most amazing natural wonders of Hawaii is Hanauma Bay, on the island of Oahu. While in Hawaii, I actually ended up going to Hanauma Bay twice. I was able to snorkel the second time. This was my first experience snorkeling, and I fell in love. Once I got the hang of it (it does take a little coordination), I could have stayed all day. I saw so many interesting sea creatures. An eel even swam by me, which I'm told is rather rare.

Hanauma Bay is a nature preserve so there is a $5 entrance fee and it is closed on Tuesdays. You also must watch an informational video before entering that explains the history and preservation efforts of the Bay.
Eric Eric
Feb 24, 2008
Have been here two times. First time the snorkeling was spectacular and the water was very clear. Tons of beautiful fish swimming everywhere. Second time I came here, a few years later, the sea was a lot choppier. Sand was scattered up in underwater clouds, and visibility was poor. Snorkeling wasn't as fun then, and there were few people out. So, I guess, the moral of this review is to make sure that you check the weather before deciding to spend a day here! :)

Also, you have to wait and watch a video about the conservation of the reef before going out. Seems perfectly reasonable, but sometimes the wait can be quite long to gain entrance into the viewing hall. As the crowds can be quite big and the video is mandatory, this can be quite frustrating if you are in a hurry to get into the water!
View of the bay from the path walk…
From the beach.
cavlizzy says:
I have been about 6 times.. that video must be new. I love SNUBA diving there. Not sure that is still offered at that location. sad!
Posted on: May 30, 2011
vances says:
I think the 'required' video started in 2005...so depends on when you visited last.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2008
Jelly says:
I love Hanauma Bay! yes, snorkeling is great during wonderful weather conditions. When visibility is spectacular, free diving is amazing. You can see extremely large eels in the crevices of the reef. Pretty freaky actually.
You must watch the video once a year or every 7 months I think. But ya, frustrating when you're dying to get in the water, I agree!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2008
lizzypooh lizzypooh
Hanauma Bay Snorkeling May 24, 2008
Affordable but save some extra money and come prepared.

The rental equipment is not in the best shape and not to well fitting you can own the same stuff for just a little more to use your whole trip and future.

After long swims and mouth full of salt water would be nice to have something to snack on and drink there only vending is before you enter park itself which is a very long walk up the mountain so my biggest suggestion is come early as to beat the crowds , bring your own gear and a picnic basket(Lol) lockers are available but small and not convent to get to so leave all valubles behind and bring some underwater disposable cameras.
Overlooking the Beach from the Wal…
vances vances
Jun 24, 2004
One of Oahu’s prime attractions is the snorkeling wonderland of Hanauma Bay. A short drive from Honolulu (you will pass through a lot of wild neighborhoods around Diamond Head en route), the nature preserve is 10 miles east of Waikiki just off the main coastal road (Kalaniana'ole Highway, Route 72). Whether or not you’ve ever been snorkeling before, this will be an enjoyed stop.

I’ve been fortunate enough to visit here three times – and the beauty of the location is what keeps me coming back! I will confess that it seemed the number of splendid tropical fish was less than previous visits during our last trip there in 2005, but spectacular nonetheless. The setting itself is paradise defined and when you mix in swimming among all the colorful fish and coral it is supreme natural magic. Please don’t cling to the shore – if you are a strong swimmer there are some sizable creatures to be spotted beyond the breakers around the ‘Toilet Bowl’ or the ‘Witch’s Brew’ areas (and a lot less people).

Try to arrive early as the parking lot (which only costs $1 for the entire day) fills up rapidly. When you enter they have a recently built Education Center where you watch an introductory video that highlights the wonders and provides useful tips for your snorkeling adventure. A visit to Hanauma should prove a highlight of your time in Oahu!

Entrance fee is $5 per person (kids under 13 are free!) - you can rent snorkel gear on site.
Hanauma Bay (taken from their web …
vances says:
Scott - excellent point about getting there early because of the headcount limit. I never took the bus, but yeah, it is pretty steep hoofing down from the parking lot!
AtlantaScottyV says:
It's worth mentioning that they only allow a certain number of people in the park at once on any given day, I think. Another reason to get there early.
AtlantaScottyV says:
You forgot to tell everyone to pay the minimal fee to take the bus ride down. While riding down seems kinda weak, the ride back up after being in the sun and snorkeling all day makes it worth while! LOL.

I think you could have filled in for SNL or Leno during the writer's strike with that one liner. Ha, ha.

Related Travel Blogs About Hanauma Bay

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and the TB dinner
This was the day I had been waiting for. We were going to Hanauma Bay for snorkeling! Met up with Wendy and Sue at their hotel and drove to Keith´s house to meet the rest of the TB gang. Hanauma Bay…Hanauma Bay is absolutely the highlight of Oahu. Even if you don´t snorkel it´s nice just to stay at the beach. After some snorkeling it was time…
Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay
This blog is going to be one of the embarrassing travel moments I’ve had. I’ve done some water-related activities -- not many, but a good few. I like jet-skiing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and… This blog is going to be one of the embarrassing travel moments I’ve had. I’ve done some water…

Check Honolulu Hotel Deals