Hanauma Bay Marine Preserve

(808) 396-4229

Hanauma Bay Marine Preserve Oahu Reviews

cm2543 cm2543
Snorkling Fun May 24, 2011
Snorkel Hanauma Bay on Oahu, I remember as a little boy snorkeling these waters with family and friends that came to visit. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!! They have different stages visibly mark as you descend to deeper water with different types of tropical fish
Ashley5 Ashley5
Hanauma Bay Sep 05, 2010
During our trip to Honolulu, Hawaii this year one of my favorite things we did was snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. We had never snorkeled before but we caught on really quick. Since we had never snorkeled before we didn't have any equipment but you can rent everything you need on the beach. We met a kind lady that showed us how to use everything. They also have lockers for you to store your stuff in.

There were a lot of different species of fish that we were able to see, but do not feed them. However we didn't see any sea turtles, which disappointed me a little. All the different types of corals were really pretty too. But do not touch the corals, they are living.

The bay is closed every Tuesday and open 6am-6pm in winter and 6am-7pm in summer.

My guidebook said to get there early to avoid the parking lot filling up. Parking is $1.

You have to view a quick educational video before entering.

There is an optional shuttle that will take you to the beach or you can walk down the hill which is paved. We walked down the hill, then when we left we rode the shuttle up.

It is a very short drive from Waikiki.

The curved location protects from large waves so the water was rather calm. But they warn to swim with a buddy just in case. They do have lifeguards at this beach.

The sandy beach is perfect for just laying out in the sun and relaxing. Near the parking lot there are shady areas with picnic tables and they have a gift shop by the entrance.

Down on the beach there is an information booth, with listings and pictures of the fish at Hanauma Bay. My husband and I had a fun time trying to find the fish we had seen, finding out what they were called and some info on them.

Do not forgot your sunscreen! I put some on before leaving our hotel, but my husband said he would put some on when we got there. Once we got there we were so eager to get started that he forgot to apply it. I was burnt a little on my back, but my husband was cooked.

I really love snorkeling now, it was so much fun, and this bay was absolutely the most gorgeous place. The waters were very clear so you could see perfectly under the water.

We would definitely return to Hanauma Bay on a future return trip to Hawaii.
Hanauma Bay
coreyjay1977 coreyjay…
Hanauma Bay Undwerwater State Park Jun 11, 2008
Hanauma Bay Underwater State Park is a beautiful marine preserve just a short drive from the hussle and bussle of Waikiki Beach. If you are into snorkeling and sea life then this is a MUST! Parking is only $1.00 per vehicle and general admission is $5.00 per person. For residents and military stationed here admission is free. At the top of the hill overlooking this wonderful area is an information center that teaches about the marine life and coral at Hanauma Bay. There is also a gift shop and snack shop located in the vicinity. After viewing a brief (10 minute) video on marine conservation you can head down the road to the beach. You have two options of getting to the beach. Walk (free) or ride (currently 1.00 down and $2.00 up). Once down the hill you can stake your claim to the beach, rent equipment, and visit another manned information booth about the various species of marine life found in the park. Life guards are on station. If you plan to venture beyond the break it is highly encouraged to check the conditions with a life guard. Now its time to don your geat and see some of the most amazing species of marine life. There are two areas that are marked for the easiest access beyond the break. There is more than enough to see inside the break for those not wanting to venture out too far. On either side of the beach are rock formationms where Hawaiian Monk Seals sometimes come ashore for a realxing bask in the sun. Hanauma Bay has so much to offer from the novice to the experienced. They are closed ALL day EVERY Tuesday to allow the sea life to just relax. In addition they are open until 10:00 pm twice a month for those wanting to experience Hanauma Bay at night.

A few things to remember:

Check with life guards before venturing out.

Stay OFF the coral, it is a living organism.

Sea Turtles are a protected animal and are not allowed to be touched.

Surf conditions change often, always swim with a buddy.

As a resident of Hawaii I never get tired of going to Hanauma Bay. If there is a question about this wonderful place that you may still have let me know.

And yes the pictures I have uploaded from Hanauma Bay were taken by me.
Up close....but not too close with…
and more fish.
TRE69 says:
I haven't been here in over 10 years...seems like I need to go back!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2008