Hanabishi

next to Senjuinbashi bus stop, Koyasan, Japan
0736-56-2236
Hanabishi - Delicious local tofu, unlike any I have had before.
Hanabishi - My vegetarian tray.
Hanabishi - Bento box lunch.
Hanabishi - Roasted vegetables and wheat gluten.
Hanabishi - A Happy Vegetarian!
Hanabishi - Tiny fish (aka minnows?!)

Hanabishi Koyasan Reviews

cmgervais cmgervais
Where the locals eat beautiful food in Koyansan. Apr 09, 2008
Hanabishi was recommended to me at the tourist information office as a good place to get Shojin Ryori, which is a multi-course vegetarian meal that uses locally produced tofu. Apparently this restaurant has been serving meals for over 120 years (according to Wikipedia), and there were many local business people enjoying lunch in the serene, quiet environment.

I was absolutely delighted with the menu. There was a one-tray vegetarian lunch for about $29, and a two-tray meal for about $53. I opted for the one-tray meal which included a peach liquor apertif, eggplant in plum sauce, local tofu -- so smooth and almost creamy -- in a tangy sauce, roasted vegetables, tempeh or seitan, rice, and pickles. It was beautifully presented and completely delicious.

They have non-vegetarian options as well. My husband Steve choose a "box lunch," which was a beautiful lacquer bento box containing tempura shrimp, chicken in soy sauce,boiled shrimp, some little minnow-like baby fish (?), miso soup, vegetables, pickles, and rice. His was also $29.

$60 may seem a lot for lunch, but we felt like we were robbing the place! The food seemed like very good value, as it was fresh, delicious, and a lot of work had obviously gone into its preparation.

HIGHLY recommended!
Bento box lunch.
My vegetarian tray.
Roasted vegetables and wheat glute…
Delicious local tofu, unlike any I…
Koyasan Map