Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown Rates and Deals

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
A Noisy Nightmare Jul 17, 2012
I just returned from my first (and probably last) stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego downtown. I was in town for Comic-Con and this was one of the approved convention hotels. I'm a loyal Hilton hotels fan and this Hampton Inn had the classic, comfortable rooms I've come to expect from this brand as well as the stellar service, but the HUGE problem with this hotel is the train noise -- and you can't change the location.

I am NOT a light sleeper by any means, but I feel like I must echo this point: the trains and the track crossing gate are OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD and will KEEP YOU AWAKE ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. When I checked in, I specifically requested a room "away from the train tracks." The front desk clerk was friendly and told me that she indeed had me in a room that was far from the tracks. I was so happy about that and the room was on the supposed "quiet side" of the hotel. If my room was on the quiet side, I'd hate to see what a room on the loud side would be like! It was the absolutely most uncomfortable (noise-wise) hotel room I've ever had anywhere in the world.

The problem is that the hotel is feet away from the city trolley track which also serves Amtrak passenger trains AND huge freight trains 24 hours a day. There is a train crossing directly behind the property so every time a trolley or train blows by, the cacophonous "clang clang clang clang clang" and flashing red lights make quite a ruckus. Once the city trolley stops running, there's a little peace a quiet...until you are awakened multiple times a night at 2 am or 3 am or 4 am by CONSTANT LOUD TRAIN HORNS blowing and blowing and blowing, followed by the startling horror that perhaps the Hogwarts Express is rumbling DIRECTLY THROUGH YOUR HOTEL ROOM. It is HORRIBLE. I don't care if there's going to be a quiet zone to silence the horns (which the date of effect apparently keeps changing), that won't stop the dang crossing lights and gate from clanging whenever a train passes by. It is miserable and I did not get a good night's sleep for the entire 3 nights I stayed at this property. The train horns are absolutely obnoxious, and a big part of a hotel is location, location, location.

As a side note, at least the trolley station is convenient and for $5 you can ride all day long! There's not much around the hotel but there is a Mexican restaurant next door and a Rite Aid a block away. The Convention Center was a bit farther than I expected and took about 25 minutes to walk there. After a long convention day, that was a bit too much for my feet! The convention shuttle bus was easy and took a little less time to use. Also, our shuttle line was never that crowded as compared to the other convention shuttles. This would be a great hotel if you were taking a cruise since the cruise ship terminal is within very close walking distance. (But don't expect to get much rest as a result of the train tracks).

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom had one sink with a large vanity and a shower only (no tub). The carpet was clean and the decor was modern and updated. The hotel is a U-shape that overlooks an internal concrete courtyard so be sure to keep your draperies closed for privacy -- I could clearly see into the rooms across the courtyard. Complimentary internet access was nice, as was the free breakfast in the morning (I didn't eat breakfast but I did check it out to see what was served -- your usual carb-heavy stuff: waffles, toast, cereal, coffee, juice). I would've liked it if the rooms had in-room refrigerators but that was no big deal. I loved that my room was cool and the a/c worked properly. There was no annoying regulator or motion sensor on the a/c temperature so we could keep it as cold as we wanted. I really hate those hotels that don't let you set the room cool enough or have a unit that shuts off in the middle of the night. No problems here, we had a nice, cool icebox of a room! I didn't have a car but I heard other guests complain about the tiny parking garage and lack of parking spots. Apparently there is an overflow parking lot across the street, but that just screams that the property has inadequate parking for its guests.

The best part of this hotel is the staff! Every single person I dealt with, from maintenance to the front desk, was super friendly and welcoming. Always smiling and always helpful, I truly felt like part of the family whenever I walked in the door. They even had warm cookies at the desk in the afternoon (and free coffee in the lobby at all hours). The sad thing is that I liked just about everything about this hotel but you can't change the location and its subsequent annoying train noise. A hotel is supposed to be a place where you can rest and relax after a long day. Because of the proximity to the train tracks and crossing gate and the noise that prohibited me from sleeping through the night, I left the hotel feeling less-than-rested or rejuvenated. And for that reason, I can't recommend it.
NickDeJesu NickDeJe…
Sep 28, 2011
The room included breakfast, free internet, coffee, TV, newspaper and complimentary coffee all day long in the lobby. Service was very good and the staff was helpful in pointing us to a local restaurant. One problem I had with my computer was that I was unable to connect to the internet in my room. It seemed to be a technical issue as my friend was able to connect with his computer.
acowboy acowboy
Awesome Night Stay, With Super Cool People... Jul 10, 2008
Just another great stay with my lovely Hampton Inn brand... = ) There is just one major negative, and all hotels on Pacific Hwy in downtown are the trains. We stayed in a room which is a corner room that faces the tracks. Hahaha, so it awoke me a few times in the night, but the comfy bed made it a close wash...

The hotel itself is a little old but it makes up for it in customer service. Upon check in I didn't get that weird vibe of having to be someone I am not, just the front desk crew made me feel comfortable. They offered plenty of local things to do as well as good local eats. Being in the downtown area it was nice to have a helping hand. Needing to get up early they were able to set me up a few wake up calls, since I usually press the snooze button on the first one.

Room was average size with clean linen and the bathroom was nice and had a shower that could fit 3 of me's in it... = 0 Of course soap and all that was included, I also forgot my toothpaste, they deliever it quite quickly. Also included was breakfast and a complementary shuttle to and from the airport!
eurowestgirl says:
Thanks for the recommendation! Having just moved to San Diego, I am on the lookout for good hotels for when more than 2 people come to stay with us.
Posted on: Aug 06, 2008
SammiJo says:
Hampton Inn is a great place to stay. Our friendly staff always puts the customers needs first.
We've even created a humorous video for our guests where the guy poetically rants in rhyme about the common disaster most every traveler has experienced when checking into a hotel. It's hilarious! Check it out - http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2tgnUsj8NE

Sammi

I think everyone can relate to it!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2008

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown Overview

The Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel is located at Beech and Pacific Highway off of I-5 one mile southeast of San Diego International Airport. When it is time to relax after a long day head to a ballgame at the new Petco Park or be entertained in Old Town San Diego over great food and drinks. If sunsets in California are your attraction stroll along the San Diego Bay or Little Italy District with eccentric shops food and endless fun. For business and pleasure make the Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel your preferred experience. We love having you here at the Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel in California.

The Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel is located at Beech and Pacific Highway off of I-5 one mile southeast of San Diego International Airport. The Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel features 177 rooms some with whirlpool tubs underground parking for 12. 00 per day exercise gym and roof-top pool with sundeck overlooking the Bay. The hotel lobby is warm and inviting decorated in Art Deco and the color scheme is carried throughout the hotel. Amenities include complimentary continental breakfast complimentary airport shuttle in-room coffeemaker newspaper and 27 inch TV with cable. The hotel also offers cribs express checkout irons and safe deposit box. Laundry/valet services in-room movies high-speed Internet access meeting/banquet facilities audio/visual equipment and room service are available for a nominal fee. The award-winning hotel is an Art Deco jewel set in a vibrant urban neighborhood that was created for travelers seeking stylish accommodations exceptional service convenient location and above all value. From the moment you are picked up at the airport in the courtesy shuttle to the moment you depart you are guaranteed satisfaction. From here hop a trolley to the San Diego Convention Center shop at Horton Plaza or spend your evening in San Diego*s Gaslamp Quarter. When it is time to relax after a long day head to a ballgame at the new Petco Park or be entertained in Old Town San Diego over great food and drinks. If sunsets in California are your attraction stroll along the San Diego Bay or Little Italy District with eccentric shops food and endless fun. For business and pleasure make the Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel your preferred experience. We love having you here at the Hampton Inn San Diego-Downtown hotel in California.

-1 km to the nearest fair site (?), 1 kms to city centre, 105 kms to the airport (john wayne intl), 2 kms to the airport (san diego).

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown Amenities

• Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Full-service catering
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower