Hamleys Toy Store

www.hamleys.com - 0870 333 2455

Hamleys Toy Store London Reviews

sdbleve sdbleve
Apr 02, 2006
Kids and toys. It is a fact of life. As we prepared for our trip, my boys went through the London Pass tour book that we received. One of the things listed was Hamleys Toy store. Well, when you travel with kids you have to meet their needs in order to have an even remote chance of enjoying yours. I told the boys if theycould figure out how to get us to the store, we would go. (Tricky dad, leason in geography and travel while on vacation). Well they figured out that they need to get to either the Oxford Circus or Picadilly Circus tube station. Then we would walk from there. They did it!....darn :)

Hamley's is locatedon Regent's Street, a couple of blocks south of the Oxford Circus tube station. It is in a busy shopping area, and there were lots of people on the street. We entered the 7 story (yes 7) store and were quickly caught up in the festive goings on inside the store. This is how a toy store should be run. There were more employees working than I have ever seen in a toy store. (I am from the US and the main toy store chain in my area is Toys R Us). They were very cheerful, helpful and welcoming. But even more amazing...THEY WERE PLAYING WITH THE TOYS! What a wonderful place to work.

As I said before the store is 7 stories (floors). Because of the way the store is layed out, it is hard to tell if there is more floor space than our local toy superstore. But I liked the way the store was layed out. And in every department, there were "interactive displays". The kids had a great time playing. And even more important, interacting with the local kids that were also in the store. We spent quite a while in the store. "I" did not want to buy any unnecessary things to haul around with us for the next two weeks, so I told the boys we would come back on the tail end of our vacation (And we did).

One last observation. Cost of the toys. The price point of the toys appeared to be in line with that in the U.S. The only draw back is the exchange rate. So while the prices were about the same, because of the exchange rate, the cost of the toys was about 1 3/4 to 2 times higher than at home. But kids don't care about that...unless you make them use their own money. When their $100 turns into a bit over 50 pounds (sorry have not figured out how to make the appropriate icon for pounds sterling) and then spending that, they try to figure out how to make their money go the farthest.

Related Travel Blogs About Hamleys Toy Store

4.19.09 Last London Day
4.19.09    Last London Day   Today’s Bus Antics:  Running for the wrong bus- yes, complete with waving and watching the bus pull away as we were at the door.  It’s…London (UNESCO) Hamley’s – Britain’s largest toy store- twice Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace Hyde Park walks…
Day 2: First full day in an Asian country!
Day 2: Woke up, couldn't really sleep, not used to the floor bed thingy. One shower for the entire hotel and its a pay shower, so we left without showering... Took the subway to Ginza (tokyo is ve…London, which was huge already. Went to this really famous toy store which reminded me very much of Hamley's in London
City Centre (South and South East)
Decided for the first day of ''discovering'' my own town to head for Glasgow Green and The Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens. For me this invovled getting the train into town and getting off at …toy store. It's the only Hamley's outside of London. After that I headed off to buy a new pair…

Check London Hotel Deals