Hamilton is the capital of Bermuda. Although there is a parish of the same name, the city of Hamilton is in the parish of Pembroke. The City is named after Sir Henry Hamilton, governor from 1778 to 1794. The parish of Hamilton predates it.
In spite of being the administrative capital of Bermuda, Hamilton only has a permanent population of approximately 969, although some estimates have it as high as 1,500. Hamilton is the only incorporated city in Bermuda, but actually is smaller than the historic town of St. George's. A more representative measure of Bermuda population tends to be by parish.