Half Dome, Yosemite NP, CA

Yosemite Village, California

Half Dome, Yosemite NP, CA Yosemite Village Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Advanced Hiking May 11, 2013
The half dome is one of the most popular hikes in Yosemite. At over 400 feet incline, it is a difficult hike. The trail runs 12 miles; 6 miles each way. It is a seven hour hike in all.

Since I was with my family and my son is only 15 months, we decided not to subject him to the torture of such a long hike.

We enjoyed the views from a distance and planned to return when the children are not with us. From what I have seen and read, it is definitely work hiking the distance if nothing else, for the views and bragging rights.

PS: Do not leave for tomorrow what you can do today!
Africancrab says:
It is outstanding David
Posted on: May 23, 2013
davidx says:
Beyond me these days but it looks great.
Posted on: May 22, 2013
Africancrab says:
Yes Roger, we had the opportunity to get the permit as I had called in ahead of our arriving. The problem was having a baby, plus we had tried Glacier point and only went a mile and a half and back
Posted on: May 15, 2013
filthyjabba filthyja…
Climbing half dome Nov 29, 2008
For the average punter (like myself) this will be a very tough hike, It's about 4,800 ft, and the trail is about 12 miles in distance. It should take about 4 hours to reach the top and then about 3 coming down.

The last 400 meters of the hike need to be done by holding onto chains and literally pulling yourself up the mountain face....no harness...no safety equipment, but they do supply you with gloves to protect your hands!

I would recommend being at the start of the trail as early as possible, you will need about 4 liters of water and some cliff bars...sandwiches...stuff with lots of calories.... you will be burning about 5,000 additional calories going up and coming down so make sure you have plenty.

Apart from the end part it is very doable. Just one note of warning if you do suspect its going to rain call off the hike the top is pure granite and when it gets wet it becomes extremely treacherous.
mypictures4u mypictur…
Hiking Half Dome, Yosemite NP Sep 15, 1996
Yosemite NP is a paradise for hikers. In 1996 my cousin and I spent some days there and chose to go for the summit of Half Dome. It is probably one of the most famous day hikes in the U.S. Considering the fact that the total elevation gain is 4,800 feet (1463 m) it is a pretty long hike (17 miles/27.4 km round-trip). Duration: 10 to 12 hours (for ordinary mortals).

We set out for the ramble very early in the morning (flashlights required!) to avoid the crowds on the trail. Starting point was the Nature Center at Happy Isles close to the Upper Pines Campground.

We followed the "Mist trail" along the Merced River. On our way we passed the beautiful Vernal Fall (317 feet/97 m)). Then we climbed up the granite stairway (steep and slippery!) and continued to the higher Nevada Fall (594 ft/181 m). Then we turned into Little Yosemite Valley. We were still alone on the trail when we reached the northeast ridge of Half Dome. The final 900 feet of the hike to the summit are a little bit tricky - for the simple reason that the rock is quite steep. Two cables are running up to serve as handholds. When we did the hike gloves where provided at the base of the ascent. Better bring your own pair to protect your hands. With gloves "climbing" up (and down!) was no problem.

We reached the summit arround 11 am. The view from the top was - simply put - glorious! It is definitely worth a visit.

Enjoy the view but do not forget to start the descent in time. The way back is longer and more strenuous than many people expect. In addition to that it gets very dark in the valley after sunset.
The descent
Enjoying the view
The final 900 feet
Vernal Fall
laserjones says:
Let me add the fact that when we started before dawn, we almost stepped into bear excrement while we were still on the campground. So the advice to pack all food in metal boxes and to beware of bears at any time was by no means unreasonable ... But we did not see any more of them (besides those already mentioned before).
Posted on: Apr 25, 2008