Hak's House

Hak's House Rates and Deals

Hak's House Siem Reap Reviews

112onlyu 112onlyu
Five star service at two star price Oct 20, 2011
I booked a room at this hotel through agoda.com for 3 nights at a total cost of A$14.40 (that’s right only A$4.80 per night! And it’s not a hostel) for a solo traveller in June 2011. Breakfast was included in the price, and there were a number of nice, simple options

When you book online you can arrange for one of Hak’s personal tuk tuk drivers to pick you up from the airport. From there it is approximately 25 minutes to the hotel. No extra charge either!

NB The airport is one of the best presented that I have been to in my travels. I alighted the plane on the tarmac the exterior of the airport itself is a beautiful reflection of Cambodian architecture. And the customs staffs are so nice when they process your compulsory visa application. It’s a great advertisement to attract travellers to Siem Reap.

1. Free airport pick up

2. Personal greeting from the owner and manager, Hak (who is quite affluent in English)

3. The room was nice and compact and comprised two single beds, with wall fan, desk and cupboard

4. Separate bathroom (towels provided)

5. Located away from the main street so relatively quiet

6. TV and DVD player in the common area

7. Breakfast included in the low price

8. Access to the level 3 balcony that overlooks the street

9. 15 minute walk away to the main street (Sivatha Street and Hospital Road) where bars and markets are

10. 5 minute walk to convenience stores for water, ice cream, etc

11. Free Wi-Fi in the Hotel reception area

12. Two computers with internet access to use for free

13. Store valuables at the reception

14. Laundry service (I paid A$3 for a decent sized bag of t shirts, shorts, underwear and socks)

15. Free use of push-bikes

16. Free ride to the airport on departure (although it’s good to leave a generous tip)

17. 3 day temples of Angkor Wat tour with your own private tuk tuk driver to take you to different sections of the massive area(but no tour guide)

1. The street that leads to the main city centre is not in a great state – there are lots of potholes. After it rains (and when it rains it pours!) the potholes fill up and it can be quite hazardous if you decide to walk it (especially at night)

Overall highly recommend - recommended for budget solo travellers or couples only who don’t want to stay in a hostel, but don’t want to pay for an expensive 4-5 star hotel.

When I reviewed this place before booking, I thought that there was no way that the ratings could be that high for accommodation at that price. Well I am happy to admit how wrong I was. I assumed that low price meant low quality, but that was way off the mark for Hak’s House.

From the moment I saw my name on the sign held by my tuk tuk driver, I knew my Siem Reap experience was going to be a great one. In the back of the tuk tuk, warm weather offset by the cool breeze, I enjoyed the 25 minute ride along a flat road passing green fields.

Arriving at the hotel, I received a personal greeting from Hak who explained all about the hotel. Listen to him to appreciate his knowledge on Siem Reap and what to see and do (and when to avoid crowds), pricing and hours of operation of attractions. He also suggested the best place for money exchange. He speaks excellent English and likes to talk to his guests about Siem Reap, and also share his travel stories. He makes you feel like part of the family. Hey it is Hak’s House after all!!

I accepted his 3 day Angkor Wat tour recommendation at a very fair price. It covered the main temples (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Phrom, Sra Srong), sunrise and sunset viewings, Kbal Spean and temples further away and just as impressive as the main ones. The tuk tuk driver also stopped off at the Cambodia Landmine Museum and Relief Centre when I had finished early viewing some temples.

The common area is a combined lounge/dining room. It’s easy to mingle with other guests. I met a couple from Melbourne, Australia, and two girls from Malaysia. So it has the hostel-feel of being able to easily interact with other travellers.

I cannot speak highly enough of this accommodation. Hak and his staff make sure that your stay is an great Siem Reap experience. At times I was almost embarrassed to ask for anything extra because I was getting much more service that what I actually paid for. My promise to Hak was to write a review that did justice to my experience. I hope many people read this and stay at Hak’s House.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip : The city area of Siem Reap is small enough to cover by bicycle. Borrow the bike from the hotel and just ride around the streets. You will feel like a local, just be careful of the motorbikes, tuk-tuks and potholes!!
Siem Reap Airport
My tuk-tuk driver for 3 days
112onlyu says:
thanks...but it is all from the experience of staying there...i´m just communicating it!!
Posted on: Dec 17, 2011
ariwardani says:
If I travel alone, I will definitely go for this choice. Nice review.
Posted on: Oct 21, 2011