Hakone Ropeway

250-0631 Kanagawa Hakone-machi, Hakone, Japan

Hakone Ropeway Reviews

anewchapter anewchap…
Beautiful Getaway Aug 14, 2014
I was looking to forward to travelling to Hakone and taking the ropeway and cable car and thankfully I wasn't disappointed.

The day trip from Ginza to Hakone took around two and a half hours in total. It involes getting the shinkansen to odawara station and then a train to hakoneyumoto station, then a train to gora station at which point you get a cable car and then get on the ropeway/gondola.

It seems like a lot of effort to get there but its really not.

The train rides themselves are quite interesting. Because of the mountain, the trains can't travel upward on the tracks, so instead they zig-zag back and forth up the mountain until they reach the top.

The views from the ropeway itself was quite breathtaking. Going from the busyness of Tokyo to the quiet mountains of Hakone was really cool.

The ropeway has several stops and you can buy a round trip ticket (which I did and recommend, even though its quite expensive) that takes you down to lake ashinoko where you can get on a pirate ship and take a trip around the lake (separate ticket). If you don't want the round trip ticket then the mid-stop at Owakudani is also great value. Owakudani has the best views and photo opportunities and you can also buy the famous 'black eggs' at the mountain store.

I'd highly recommend visiting the Hakone ropeway. Its a great getaway, it's relaxing and on a clear day the views are beautiful.
Hakone Japan
Cable Car, Hakone, Japan
Ropeway, Hakone Japan
Ropeway, Hakone Japan
Toonsarah Toonsarah
Hakone's ‘rope ways’ Oct 08, 2013
The Hakone rope way is a cable car system that links Gora to some of the main sights including Owakudani Hot Springs and Togendai on Lake Ashi. We took our first one from Sounzan at the upper terminus of the funicular railway to the springs, and after visiting there changed to the other to descend to the lake.

The cars are modern and comfortable, seating about 18 people in each, although I think that would be a bit cosy – we were a group of 13 and fitted in quite nicely. They do stop to let you board, unlike some others we have ridden. The views going up to Owakudani are good, but it is on the ride down to Lake Ashi that you will want to have your cameras ready, if the weather is fine, as you get great views of Mount Fuji on the first part of the descent.

The ride up took about eight minutes, and going back down to the lake takes roughly double that, with a station en route. If you don’t like heights you may find it a little unnerving, as a couple of people in our group did at first, but I personally loved these rides as I think most of us did. Drifting almost silently above the mountains with that distant view of Fuji is something I’ll remember for a long while.
The cable car station at Sounzan
Going up
Silly photo op at the station at O…
View of Mount Fuji on the way down