Hairy Berry Backpacker Hostel

Check Te Puke Hotel Deals

Hairy Berry Backpacker Hostel Te Puke Reviews

nzanya nzanya
All about working... Sep 30, 2010
Probably three stars for this hostel are still too much, but I had such a great time there that I still have a kinda positive impression of it.

It's a popular working hostel in Te Puke which helps you to get a job in kiwi fruit business. Meanwhile the companies know them so well that the hostel doesn't has to ask them if they have work but the companies ask the hosts if they have some workers. It depends on the season, but in the right time you definitely get a job. I didn't hear of many people who didn't get any, but there's never a guarantee. Many of them got angry because after a week they still didn't get anything but there are just so many people looking for work that it sometimes needs some time. Timing is everything.

But you can say that the hostel is not that popular because of it's great accommodation! I got the cheapest room available, we had two wardrobes for six people, no table or chair or something else to put something down, no carpet, nothing. The beds were not even made-up. And the floor just always looked dirty even if it wasn't. We had a VERY small rubbish bin which was maybe emptied once a week. Most rubbish was lying all around it because there was no space. For THAT price, that's not enough!

The bathrooms... well, I didn't see the guy's one but the one for us girls is... small! Three cabins: One just with a toilet, one just with a shower and one with toilet, shower and sink. Outside there was just one more sink and a huge mirror. Now you have to imagine: We were about 80-90 people, let's say half of this girls. Everyone's going to work, everyone at the same time. Everyone had to brush teethes, going to the toilet, some stand hours in front of the mirror, the usual. That's torture! 5 -6 six girls were standing on the tiny space, brushing teethes and one after another can use the sink. And the boys? As I was told they had 3 showers and MUCH more room.

The same problem after work when everyone wants to take a shower. 40 girls and two showers. I the end it was so bad that the hosts decided the girls can use the boys bathroom, too, but only in groups and with tolerance of the boys.

The kitchen is too small, too, at least for this number of people. And it's a story itself to find a proper pan or pot. Then there are queues in the evenings for the stoves... it was so bad that I preferred to eat instant food most of the time.

The lounge was huge, a great place to sit with the others. Unfortunately even this lounge was too small after a while. And the TV was luxury - flatscreen at the wall. I suppose they earn a golden nose with all these workers, so they bought this thing. I just don't understand why they don't do anything to renovate the rooms or something like this.

I really missed a nice backyard to sit outside on hot days. We had some tables outside and some space for tents for for me that wasn't enough. And there was the shed! The place were all the parties took place. Not very big but good enough for all the party people.

Was there anything good about the hostel? Well, you just meet awesome people! People which can be your friends. And that's the most important for me.

Just for the hostel they would only get two stars from me, but because they help you to find a job so fast, they get a second. And just because I met so many friends there they get a third one.

I could talk hours about this hostel, but I hope this gives you a good impression :)

And the last thing to mention: If you're just a tourist who just wants to spend some days in Te Puke (I couldn't imagine why, but just in case), don't go there!

Check Te Puke Hotel Deals