Haight and Ashbury

Haight and Ashbury Streets, San Francisco, CA, USA
Haight and Ashbury - Haight Ashbury
Haight and Ashbury - Haight and Ashbury Streets, San Francisco, CA.

Haight and Ashbury San Francisco Reviews

irenem irenem
Haight Ashbury Jan 25, 2017
Maybe it is just because in my head San Francisco and hippies are synonomous, but I really, really loved Haight Ashbury with its smoke shops and psychodelic murals and aged hippies shuffling around and off the wall stores. We spent much longer here than we expected to - well getting my husband out of the Amoeba Record Store was a challenge for a start. He's a bit of an aged hippy himself.

We wandered off the main street of Haight Ashbury in pursuit of the homes of some famous people. Our criteria was simply that the homes were nearby and involved little effort on our part. Thus we saw where Janis Joplin's house was and the house of the grateful dead, the headquarters of Hells Angels and the house of notorious killer, Charles Manson.

We were not alone in our wanderings. Several people were around taking photos of the houses we went to see.

The walls around Haight Ashbury are covered with murals depicting famous rock stars, the summer of love and other subjects. They were colourful and bright and interesting to look at. We enjoyed strolling around photographing them.
mdfehmel mdfehmel
Birthplace of the Hippy Movement Jan 05, 2017
On a recent leisure trip to San Fran, visiting the neighborhood of the cross streets of Haight and Ashbury was on my list. Widely recognized as the birthplace of the counter-culture movement known as the "hippies" during the American 1960s, Haight and Ashbury is seemingly frozen in time. Still a pilgrimage location for modern hippies, H&A is littered with smoke shops, old record stores selling classic folk rock and jam band vinyl (a la The Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin), thrift shops and Tibetan style naturalist shops. There are very few places to eat, and the few bars that are in the area are dives with one exception - The Magnolia Pub and Brewery, which specializes in northern California dark craft beers. I must admit, H&A was not my cup of tea, but I think it was worth checking the block. I would have regretted not seeing it. May be more to see if what I describes fits your personality more so than mine though.
Haight and Ashbury Streets, San Fr…

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals