Hagar Qim y Mnajdra

Qrendi, Malta

Hagar Qim y Mnajdra Qrendi Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Magnificent building and views Dec 03, 2011
One of the main sites that I looked forward to see on Malta was the temple of Hagar Qim, which was constructed sometime between c. 3600 - 3200 BC and stands on a hilltop overlooking the sea and the islet of Filfla. I didn’t know much about it before I entered the plane taking me to Malta but the 3 ½ h flying time gave me good time to prioritize my time on the Island and Hagar Qim quickly caught my interest.

The temple itself consists of a single temple unit, although it is not clear if it was originally constructed as a four or five-apse structure. I was pretty sad to see that there was a tent over the construction but understanding why made me accept it. I was quite lucky being there when there were hardly any other at the site, which gave me good opportunities to enjoy the site and the amazing work done 1000s of years ago.

The Hagar Qim was excavated at the beginning of the nineteenth century and has produced many 'fat figure' statuettes including the naturalistic 'Venus of Malta'. On the outer side of the north flank of Hagar Qim an open-air shrine has been inserted into the wall, whose facade combines the suggestive symbols of the male and female generative organs. There is also the unique four-sided altar.

At the Mnajdra temple complex, which is situated 1000 meters away, ‘corbelling’ is also demonstrated. There also appears to be astrological alignment – with equinoxal sunrises.

I really enjoyed the places and also the magnificent views along the coastal line. In hot summer days you should remember to bring water for the walk between Hagar Qim and Mnajdra Temple and the other sites.
keenriser keenriser
The oldest free standing buildings in the world Feb 03, 2011
Hagar Qim is the site of the oldest freestanding buildings in the world (that have been found to date).

There are two groups of prehistoric buildings on this site, a modern visitors center and a restaurant. The visitors center shows a movie about the history of Hagar Qim, other sites on Malta and the people that may have built them. The rest of the visitors center seems to be intended for kids, as it is very interactive (press buttons, open doors, etc). Still, it is interesting.

The sites themselves are about 200-300m apart. I can't really describe the sights without copying wikipedia, so I'll just kindly suggest you look at the pictures instead and decide if it's worth your time.

If you care anything about archeology at all, I'd say YES, this is a MUST. If you couldn't care less about a pile of stones, then please skip it.
Mnajdra temple interior
Mnajdra temple entrance from outsi…
Hagar Qim as a scale model in the …
Mnajdra
keenriser says:
I'm glad you did! I would have no idea this existed if an archaeologist friend of mine wouldn't have tipped me off to it :)
Posted on: Dec 09, 2011
Chokk says:
I really enjoyed it
Posted on: Dec 09, 2011
pacovera pacovera
May 19, 2006
Hagar Qim

El templo de Hagar Qim fue construido en la edad del cobre, sobre el

2700 a.C. El tipo de piedra utilizado es una caliza bastante blanda, la

globigerina, y relativamente facil de trabajar, y por eso se ven mesas,

puertas, bancos y altares con columnas. Tambien se han encontrado otros

elementos, pero no es seguro que sean originales de la primera epoca.

Mnajdra

El templo de Mnajdra fue construido en una piedra mas dura que la

caliza globigerina, la caliza coralina, que es mas resistente pero

permite menos trabajos. El templo consiste en una serie de habitaciones

comunicadas, en cuyo interior el sacerdote se ocultaba y pronunciaba

las palabras mágicas, con efectos curativos, esto deducido por haberse

encontrado por el lugar diversas partes del cuerpo humano enfermas

reproducidas en barro cocido.

Related Travel Blogs About Hagar Qim y Mnajdra

The Valleta, capital of Malta, a jewel
It has always called me the attention, when thinking, when reading, on a place as it will be, which one gets to imagine, we generally see it like but complicated, with a certain fear. Soon you arri…Hagar Qim y Mnajdra, cerca de Qrendi, el complejo de Ggantija en Gozo y el Hypogeum, tambien en Paola. Hacia…

Compare Tarxien Hotel Rates (6.2km away)

Hagar Qim y Mnajdra Map