Hadrian's Wall

England, United Kingdom

Hadrian's Wall Reviews

themikofit themikof…
Hadrian's Wall Mar 30, 2011
One of the most memorable experiences of my 2042 mile cycle tour around England, was along Hadrian's Wall. Back in the day, this was the most heavily fortified border in the Roman Empire (thanks Wikipedia). Today, it's difficult to distinguish the remains, with the walls of nearby farms (perhaps that's why it's been reduced in height). It certainly doesn't serve its purpose any more, as I proved when jumping over it.

Despite it seeming like a questionable attraction (looking at some old stones in the ground), I'd rate it as quite a pleasant day out (weather permitting).

Cycling along the wall was very enjoyable as the road was rather hilly, thus it's advisable to pick up enough speed on the downhill to make it up the next incline! Alas, if you do choose to cycle, please note you won't be continuously cycling alongside the wall.

I'd like to go back and hike along the entire length (73 miles or 80 Roman miles). This seemed to be a popular choice amidst the punters that I saw.

I was quite pleased to also see a group walking the wall in full Roman army gear. If you're fortunate you may get to see such a sight too. Though you'd be counting on someone else having the same idea, as I doubt that the group I saw will still be there.

I saw one pub along the way, so there is an opportunity to stop for 'refreshments' and a wee. However it's equally amicable to bring a picnic with you and lounge on the grass in the sun, providing it doesn't rain.

For those that aren't able to walk (or cycle) 73 miles in a day, there was a camp site in the vicinity of the village named Wall.

If you're interested in your Roman history, then there is also an old Roman stables site that you can visit.

Does this mean I can send personal messages now?
England Map