Haddo House

0844 493 2179

Haddo House Aberdeen Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Haddo House Aug 10, 2013
Haddo House is a stately home a short distance from Aberdeen in the North of Scotland, built by Robert Adam for the Gordon family. The exterior is Georgian, and the interior has been maintained in a late Victorian (read MASSIVELY ornate) style. That’s Jane Austen outside and Dickens inside, if you (like me) tend to date architecture by costume dramas. I was there for a wedding rather than for a day trip, so I can’t comment too much on things like entrance fees, but I can review the house and gardens as an attraction.

The house is maintained by the National Trust, having been a personal home for the Gordons and then a maternity hospital in world war 2. The grounds of the estate and parts of the garden are now a country park, where admission is free, but there is an admission fee for the house itself. Other facilities include the inevitable gift shop and tea room, and the ceilidh hall (ceilidhs are traditional Scottish dances still found at weddings). They are very beautiful. The house itself is also lovely, in the heavy, ornate style that the Victorians loved. There is some amazing decoration and the house is quite interesting, although I suspect that if I had been there as a tourist I would have needed a visitor’s guide as nothing was really explained. It contains a lot of paintings. The website claims it as a unique collection of art, but really, a lot of them are of assorted Gordons and dogs, and are the Victorian equivalent of someone’s family snaps. There were some portraits of Victorian politicians – I took care to glare at Castlereigh, who was responsible for the Peterloo massacre in Manchester – but little else I really understood.

The gardens are lovely, and if you are in the area, then it is a nice place to go for a walk in.

Personally, I am more of a fan of castles than stately homes. I think the gardens are gorgeous and well worth a visit. The house is stunning, but I’m not sure I would have gone if I hadn’t been going to a wedding. But that might be a feature of not having had a visitor’s guide to explain what things were.

Check Aberdeen Hotel Deals