Hackesche Höfe

Hackescher Markt, Berlin, Germany

Hackesche Höfe Berlin Reviews

skiathos skiathos
Beautifully restored Courtyards - place to explore and retreat Jul 29, 2011
My curiousity and nosiness led me to this place and what a delight it is! Basically you enter from the street up a short tunnel-like passageway, which opens into a hugh inner courtyard, full of pavement cafés/restaurants.

This first courtyard is open in the evening, as well as during the day; it leads onto a series of inter-linked courtyards, (closed in the evening), I think about 8 in all, and each with it's own distinct character and charm.

The building houses private apartments, businesses, a cinema, cafés and restaurants. You can stroll through the courtyards and watch designers/dress makers at work in their studio shops; there are naturally a few souvenir/gift shops, including a shop dedicated to that most beloved East German icon, the Ampelmann.(pelican crossing figure, who looks like he's holding a stiffy)

The entire site is a heritage site and was once at the heart of the Jewish community in Berlin before WW2, so there is quite a bit of history attached to it.

However, even if you have no interest in the history, these courtyards are really beautiful and a quiet and leisurely stroll through them is highly recommended.

Not to be missed - the tunnel leading to Sophienstraße, known as der Rosengarten, an incredibly pretty corridor of pale pink and turquoise italienate stucco, with tiny balconies and a quaint little bistro/restaurant called Amicvs Vini.

You can wonder around these inner courtyards, browse in the shops and sit in the garden areas for free.
Hackesche Hof - front facade by ni…
Hackesche Höfe - beautifully rest…
vulindlela says:
Congrats on your feature!
skiathos says:
@ Matthew, so true! It's led me to beautiful places and great surprises.
OhSoApropos says:
A perfect example of the benefits of letting your curiosities guide the way. (They more often lead to great things rather than finding you trouble. :)) Love the review! Cheers!
skiathos skiathos
Amicvs Vini Restaurant in the Hackesche Hof Complex Jul 22, 2011
A quaint and very pretty bistro/restaurant in the passageway leading to Sophienstraße and known as der Rosengarten (rose garden.)

I had a cheese platter here and it was quite nice, as I love Brie, but what marks this place out for me is how peaceful and pretty it is. Also the service was very professional and friendly both times I've been here, which is quite refreshing, as often in Berlin this isn't the case.(and I say this as a big fan of Berlin, German people in general, the culture and the language).

They also have a good wine list. If you like red wine, like me, I would recommend the Dornfelder. This is a German red, which I have only ever been able to find once in England; so I'm guessing the Germans are quite canny and keeping the best stuff for themselves. Can't say I blame them. It's delic.
Rosengarten, leading from Hackesch…
Steps leading down the the bistro …

Check Berlin Hotel Deals