Haandi Restaurant Kampala

Plot 7, Kampala, Uganda

Haandi Restaurant Kampala Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Authentic Indian Food in Kampala Mar 28, 2009
If you know the history of Uganda, you know that Uganda has a great population of returning Asians (Indians to be exact) after years of exile back to their home country following Idid Amin's expulsion of all Asians in 1972: He gave 50,000 Gujarati Indians a 90 days ultimatum to leave the country or die, apparently God had commanded him to expel the Indians. Well that being said, when the current president took over power, to proper the economy he opened the doors for the expelled Indians to return and reclaim their property, thus the large presence of Indians in Uganda to-date. I wanted to give you this short history in order to write about one of the most authentic Indian Restaurants in Kampala: Handi. Located at the heart of Kampala on Kampala Road, Haandi is an absolutely delightful restaurant to dine at. For years I dined there with my boyfriend Don and my girlfriends Carol and Agnes. When I returned in 2008 to Kampala, I told my girlfriend Agnes that I would not leave the country without dinning at Haandi, so we did. The service is as delightful as the food. Their long time serving chef Pradeep puts together great recipes and their menu offers so many choices. My favourite is the spinach sauce with cottage cheese, hmm yummy!

Uganda of course is tropical so there is no shortage of fresh vegetables and foods. All ingredients with the exception of some dried spices are fresh adding a touch of class and character to each food. They make the best nans and papadums. The garlic nan is my favourite and papadum with fresh parsley, onions and tomatoes - hmmm makes your taste buds dance.

Prices: No matter what they tell you, Uganda is expensive. Haandi is considered an up market restaurant so the minimum for a decent meal is about $35 per person if you order the appetizers and main meal and add a drink or two. Price not withstanding, this is a great restaurant and if you have the money, I highly recommend it.

Check Kampala Hotel Deals