Utila, Honduras

HOW to Capture the Whale Shark with the Captain of the Sea, Dive for Buried Treasure, and Dive into a Dark Abyss Utila Reviews

Isoinspira Isoinspi…
Jan 29, 2007
Upon arrival, you will notice there are a fair amount of people waiting to greet and meet you! We crossed the great ocean to encounter many eager scuba instructors upon our arrival. We rushed out of the madness to our favorite hostel, and hit the streets in search of our caving adventures and our beloved, Captain Hal, who was sure to take us to the whale shark this time around. We ended up finding someone to take us caving in a fresh water cave, and we were sliding into the cave on our stomachs using our head lamps as extra protection against any unseen or hidden spiders or other insects that might decide to come our way. As we entered a large cavern, we entered the water, and used our snorkel gear and our flashlights to dive through small, narrow tunnels into air pockets. It was a great adventure, and all of us came out alive:) Day 2 we traveled to the beautiful Water Cay beaches ( a MUST SEE AND DO in Utila) with our beloved captain. We snorkeled alongside the coral reef and encountered a fierce pack of barracudas as well as some brightly colored parrot fish.

We also prepared for our night dive, and as the clock ticked away, we started thinking of all the barracudas and sharks we might meet in the dark waters. As we put on our wet suits and our gear, we stepped on the boat, and wondered what we had just signed up for. As we entered the black water with our flashlights and our gear, and as we started descending, I was amazed at God's incredible creation as I saw brillantly colored coral and fish swimming about. Katie and I stayed close to our neon clad instructor as we moved in and out of the coral reef. The most incredible sight of the entire night was sitting at the bottom of the ocean floor, turning off our flashlights, and looking out at the water around us. Within seconds the formerly dark water, became like the night sky flashing with little tiny lights that looked like stars. The fish were shining in the darkness! It was an amazing sight to see, and it has me desiring to go again:)

The commander of a small fishing fleet, Hal, is known on the island as the Whale Shark Hunter:) He guarentees his people the opportunity to swim with the whale shark!! Little did I know that I was not meant to be a sea maiden or in a fishing boat in the high seas! Hal brought us to the whale shark, and it was just as glorious of an experience as I imagined! :) All 30 seconds of it!!!:)

If you go to Utila, make sure that you go night diving with the National Geographic crew, head over past the bridge to visit a man who has over 40 live parrots (interesting character), rent bikes to tour the island, go caving, check out the Seahorse Inn (just walk around and be amazed at the decorations), hang out at the docks and watch the fireblowers perform, go whale shark sighting and dive in with it, go to the Cay, and try to sneak over to the private island by swimming across the barrier:)
Before entering the deep, dark cav…
Isoinspira says:
You should do it while you can:) I love snorkeling, however, snorkeling doesn't cut it anymore... I love being able to go to the extreme depths and swim alongside the fish...watch out for the moray eels, though!!
Posted on: Jan 31, 2007
Eric says:
Sounds awesome! I've wanted to try learning how to scuba dive...must have been cool to see a whale shark!
Posted on: Jan 29, 2007