HISAR

Kelsterbach, Germany

HISAR Kelsterbach Reviews

dahling dahling
Turkish cookery , German sizes May 11, 2008
People often ask me, where there is a good place to eat. Well, since I thought I will give myself a mothers-day gift, I treated myself to dinner for some turkish food. Even though this is really easy in Frankfurt, I wanted to go somewhere, where we could sit outside. So my best friend suggested the "HISAR"in Kelsterbach. It is located right around the corner from the airport. If one would take a cab, probably only 5 minutes. It took us ten, becaise I drove. We thought it would be a good idea if I drive, cause I do not drink, so my friend and her hubby can have a beer or two. When we got there we found out , this is a family alcohol-free restaurant. Hahaha, so much for me the one or two beers. It seemed like a good idea, unlike other places, no people were sitting outside just taking up chairs, while drinking their beer and nobody was loud and stupid either.

So, we are happily sitting outside, but the minute the sun was hiding behind the roofs, it got so chilli and the wind picked up, so we decided to go inside, before we have to move with all our stuff. Hmm. So much for sitting outside.

The place was fairly empty. We ordered our drinks with the waitress, who was obviously NOT turkish, not fast, not good in memory, not attentive, but at least very nice. As you probably gathered - the service, hmm service itself is the wrong word for what we got. She was very young, very cute, very inexperienced. But, when she spilled some of the coke - okay, it happens. When she did not bother to wipe it up - or bring napkins, I was not so happy. We actually had to ask for almost everything, silverware, napkins etc etc.... but, the food...

The food made up for everything. It was delicious. I was a little weary, because it was slightly higher than my "average" turkish restaurant. But, oh well, I was pleasantly surprised. The soup was delicious. I also ordered a starter plate, but it was gone, before I even got finished with the soup. After that I had a grill platter - it had shish kebap, adana kebap, chicken, pirzola (lamb chop) on it, served with salad and rice, the meat being placed on a bread. My daughter had a kiymali pide (hamburger meat with egg) it was so delicious, but since she ate the starter by almost herself, she could hardly eat any of the Pide and my friend had an Iskender - the Doener meat is placed on toasted bread soaked in butter topped off with warm tomato sauce and joghurt - the plates were all so full, none of us were able to finish them. So, we had very delicious food and lots of it and it made me (almost) forgot the service.

When, we were finished and stuffed it took a while for her to clear the table, which was okay, I was glad to let the food settle. The idea of getting in a car, just did not sound thrilling. and just when I thought, it is okay, we can go now - they bring desert. On the house. ufz - and of course we each got two different types of homemade baklava - and it was sooo good, it reminded me of the story with the tiger. when you are in the desert and think you cannot go on anymore - and all of a sudden a tiger comes around the corner and you find that you still have just a little bit of energy anyways - I kinda like felt like that. I honestly did not think I could eat even one more bite, but still managed to finish at least one of the baklava. Luckily, the cook understood our dilemma and brought us styrofoam boxes, so we can pack the leftovers. We filled 3 of them..... guess what we will be eating for lunch...

So, for all of you living in the area - or those of you that need to kill a few hours airport time, I can highly recommend this place. Only one S-Bahn Stop from the Airport.... you should try the turkish cooking, but remember, unlike the very small portions that you would get in Turkey, they serve their food German style - big plates, lots of food - what a perfect mixture!!!!
Charles1964 says:
Hey Bettina,
You know you just made me hungry.The kiymali pide sounds good.I'm getting ready to have a fish sandwich.Doesn't sound as good as what you had :)
Posted on: May 13, 2008