HI-Vancouver Downtown

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals

HI-Vancouver Downtown Reviews

nic1927 nic1927
Friendly Hostel May 07, 2011
Located just outside of main shopping district of Vancouver, this hostel provides easy access to many of the city's attractions but, unlike the hostels located more centrally, it feels 100% safe. I spent a few months at the hostel (on and off) while on a working holiday in Vancouver and found the hostel provided friendly service 24 hours a day, clean rooms and it also organises local trips.

There are cheaper alternatives but there's a reason for the price!
ian_travbuddy ian_trav…
A Cheap 3rd Alternative Jul 20, 2010
Important. That's how I would describe the choice for HI - Vancouver. And well considered that's for sure! As for me it was the beginning of a journey. A journey full of ups and downs. And this hostel was definitely among the "Downs".

The location:

The location was not to bad. It was downtown as you can see. Close to a few (fast food) restaurants. But what the heck! They were open till late so I could have my dinner (by the time I got at the hostel it was already past business hours). It has a few homeless on the streets but I think that's normal in Vancouver. I'd never seen so much homeless people my whole life than in Vancouver.

The Hostel.

The service was pretty good. I only stayed there for 2 days though (but with enough questions, complaints and disagreements enough for the upcoming year)! They could handle that so that's a (rare) plus!

However. It's not only about the service, it's about the whole accommodation obviously. Which was crap. To be honest.

The washroom (Showers and toilets) smelled like a cocktail of Pee, Poo, Sweat and Puke. The ladies room was no exception!

The bedroom was way to small. It accommodated up to 4 people. Well, I had two suitcases with me and 2 bags. So that was not gonna work out huh!

I did have a locker but that was enough for maybe my towels. Nothing more nothing less.

You do have private rooms though, but then you have a crappy room all by yourself. After all, I preferred to share my complaints with the others.

And my (female) friend, who traveled with me from the Netherlands. I mention this because we could not stay together. Woman and Men rooms are separate. I think it's to prevent a true International Baby Boom! =)

Is there any reason why someone would recommend this awful place? Yes there is. It's cheap. You get cheap ass crappy stuff too, keep that in mind. But it's cheap. You pay for the service (which I was willing to pay for because I got my first local map from them) and not for the accommodation if you know what I mean.

My tips if you want to go here. Plan your trip. What do you want to do next? Where do you want to go next (more important). Because I stayed here for 2 days (which was more than enough). And I highly recommend it not to stay any longer!
Within 5 km the view began to chan…
pacificscorpio says:
Fireworks tonight, should be great! Enjoy, take care!
Posted on: Jul 21, 2010
ian_travbuddy says:
Hehe yes I live here!
I'm not really the hostel type so it was a mistake anyways.... but a lot of peeps out there are.. so thats why I wrote the review =)
Yes I will! thanks!
You 2 eh! =)
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
pacificscorpio says:
sorry...you live here i see.....enjoy your summer!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
kroesje85 kroesje85
A good hostel Dec 28, 2010
I'm from Europe and this was my first experience in/with Canada and it was a good one. I stayed here for more than a week.

The rooms are safe and quite, the washrooms ok and clean.

The free breakfast and wifi are nice. The library, kitchen, dining room and game room are only accessible for guest.

The location was perfect for me, in a quite neighbourhood, but close to Davie and Granville with their pubs, clubs and restaurants. Grocery store, print shop etc. are all close by.

The organize some activities as well: guided tours to Lynn Valley and Capilano Valley, movie nights, pub and club tours, hockey nights etc.
worldcitizen worldcit…
A quiet location close to the center of town Apr 09, 2009
I thought this was a great place to stay. It's very close to a lot of things, but not right in the mix. All of the dorm rooms have 4 beds per room with lockers and sinks. The bathrooms were decent as far as hostels go and I never had to wait in line to take a shower.

The front desk staff can be a little odd but they are totally friendly and helpful. I actually left something pretty important at the hostel. I called them and they found it and mailed it to San Francisco for me.

This place has a few free parking spots- 6 or 8 in the garage and 4 or so outside. I arrived on a Thursday and was able to leave my car there for two nights without any problem. I'm guessing on weekends in high tourist season, it would be harder to get a spot.

The hostel is walking distance (sometimes a long walk, but very doable) from a lot of points of interest and just one block away from Davie Street, a main drag full of restaurants, shops, and nightlife.

They have free breakfast and it helps to get there somewhat early before they start to run out of things. They serve bagels, toast, cereal, fruit, coffee, tea, etc. There's a pretty large kitchen and lots of room in the fridge as well as free purified water dispensers.

They organize regular outings, usually in conjunction with HI Vancouver Central (which is more downtown than the Downtown hostel!). The clubs they take you to are a little random, but it's a good way to meet people if you're traveling solo.
tjxu97 tjxu97
Great hostel in a great neighborhood! Oct 21, 2008
This hostel had the best of both worlds. It's located in a quite neighborhood with trees lining the streets, yet is also part of the downtown area.

Just minutes from Sunset beach (although I never went) and minutes from many restaurants.

It is a bit of a walk to the skytrain (about 20 minutes), but very doable and a pleasant walk.

They have a HUGE kitchen with lots of very nice equipment. The commons area is nice as well.

Rooms are average, but the nice thing was, it was quiet.

Overall, a very nice stay!
andrewb andrewb
Convienient Location Aug 08, 2007
We stayed here on the first night in BC. We did not spend much time in the hostel, but the location was good, within walking distance to good restaurants and shops. The rooms were 4 person shared, and overall the place was nice. At the time you had to pay for internet service which was somewhat of a pain, but looking back at the site, they now offer free internet! There was a free breakfast in the morning which was also great way to get your day started and have a chance to eat with some fellow travallers. The staff at the front desk were very helpful, and there was tourist information available there as well.

Related Travel Blogs About HI-Vancouver Downtown

Day 1 - Arrival In Vancouver
In a spontaneous last minute decision, my friend, Mark convinced me to join him on his trip to BC. We came up with a plan to rent a car and road trip to various locations over the course of one …downtown and walked around until I found the hostel where my friend was staying. This was the HI-Vancouver

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals