HI - Redwood National Park

Check Klamath Hotel Deals

HI - Redwood National Park Klamath Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Location location location Mar 14, 2013
There is something unique about the hostels in USA compared to the European hostels. They just got some amazing locations. Often you can find a hostel got a better location than the premium hotels – just due to the fact they are sometimes the only place you can stay within some national parks or state parks. The hostel in Klamath is one of those confirming this rule. It is located in the middle of Red Wood National Park. It is only a short walk away from the beach and you are pretty much in the middle forest.

The only problem with this amazing location is you are far far away from anything which reminds you of civilization. If you do not have a car you are in big trouble here – cos it is a long walk to get any shopping done and there is no food available at the hostel. So unlike European hostels here it is almost a prerequisite you have your own vehicle if you want to stay here. I have no idea how you can get here without a car.

The hostel is actually pretty discrete. When I got here in my car it was a bit after dark and I only saw a building at the side of the road – but no sign. So I drove past the hostel and ended up somewhere to the north of it until I realized I must have accidently gone too far. The second time around I saw a sign to the hostel and went in. it was pretty quiet in early January so we were only a few guest at the place – hence the big common area were more than enough for us – but there was no television – or there were not access to the channel which showed the college football so I decide to join up with another guest and drive up north through the forest to Crescent City which was actually the nearest bigger town where it was possible to find restaurants and someone having the college football on. It seemed like a good idea when we went out – but going back was pretty stormy and dark through the forest making the whole concept of a field trip look less appealing. Fortunately there were no fallen trees on the road in front of us – but the next morning the power were gone in the hostel due to some trees or branches falling on the power lines somewhere in the woods.

The hostel still used the old fashion American hostel principle of people having to do choirs in the morning as part of the rent – I have been told that most places has given up on this due to issues with insurance in case somebody actually get into an accident while cleaning. So before I could leave in the morning I had to draw in the lottery to see what kind of stuff I had to do. I had to swipe a little bit which didn’t last too long and I felt no real incitement to do it probably since I was just about to go out the door.
cotton_foam says:
this will be helpful to us when we plan to visit that area! thanks for sharing, Mike!
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013
tridantri tridantri
Redwood National Park Hostel Sep 19, 2009
This hostel is the only lodging with the Redwood National and State Parks and is set back in the forest about 100m from the beach. It offers direct access to the California Coastal Trail and there are a number of interesting walks that you can do. The staff are helpful and will be able to tell you about any of the walks you are interested in. The surrounding area is magnificent. The Redwoods are the tallest living thing on the planet, some towering 300 feet high.

The hostel is very clean and some of the rooms have spectacular view across the Pacific Ocean. The kitchen is very well equipped. There is nowhere to get food at the hostel and the closest place to eat out is about a mile walk south of the hostel, either down the main road or along a footpath. If you plan to cook your own food then you will need to bring it with you.

The hostel has a cozy common area which has a woodstove that will keep you warm in the cold weather. There is also a piano, library and games available to use. The bathrooms are shared between all guests but they were very clean.

Check Klamath Hotel Deals